Option to stop autoextracting OPML outline files into groups and files?

Can there be an option (or is there one already?) to stop having DT autoexpand OPML files into groups and files? I use OmniOutliner but generally store the files as OPML format for interoperability. Would be nice to be able to treat OPML files the same as any other file.

Thanks!

And I guess I should add a bit more detail: I’m not trying to edit OPML files in DT. just would like DT to acknowledge them as files and be able to search them, and then edit using OmniOutlier or whatever as needed, like we can for other file types like Word .docx, etc.

Development would have to assess changing the behavior.

However, if you add an OPML file to an indexed location in the Finder, it will not be parsed into a group hierarchy. You can also use Data > Move Into Database with no ill effect.

Thanks for the quick reply! The workaround seems like it’ll work for now. Would appreciate it if dev could consider adding an option for this.

Thanks!

We might add a hidden preference, currently DEVONthink’s OPML im/export are compatible to each other (as OPML is also used by RSS readers, not only outliners).

1 Like

Could you explain a little more about this hidden preference?

actually what I was looking for was the capabilty to maintain the folding/hoisting behaviour of OPML files…

The hidden preference – RawOPMLImport – imports as a plain text document. It is not going to import and display it like OmniOutliner, etc. In fact, that’s a cosmetic convention on how to display OPML in apps like that as the format isn’t specifically an outline.

no way to collapse text, isn’t it?

No, because OPML is not is not an outline. You are looking for behavior from outliner applications – behavior that has been specifically implemented but using OPML as a format.

any other way to collapse text inside DT?

Collapsing text is a cosmetic effect. It is not a feature of a particular file format.

The only immediate option coming to mind is using the details element in HTML or in Markdown (though purists will cry foul).

sometimes a cosmetic effect can be very useful… if you want to focus only on a paragraph for instance

While this may be true, it has to be implemented in the application you’re working in. There is no universal folding text file format.

said that you are the expert and I am the user :innocent:
the question can become:if I import an OPML or a MD file in DT can I maintain a “cosmetic” collapsing?

Not really. In MD, you could use HTML’s summary/detail element, but that is probably not what you’re after.

Other editors, e.g. VS Code or BBEdit, provide something that might help, namely the (un-)collapsing of text following a headline. And Emacs can likely also do that.