Organise smart groups into folders

I have my documents organised into many smart groups - e.g. groups for document type, groups for document format, for theme/genre, etc etc. How can I organise these smart groups into folders? For example, I would like to put the 15 smart groups that I have for document type (article, book, leaflet, manuscript, etc etc) into a folder entitled “Type”.

This isn’t possible yet but planned for future releases.

3 Likes

Wow…such an established and powerful looking app can’t organise things into folders? The mind boggles. Hope the team follow up on the plan…

Plans depend on priorities and available resources of course.

2 Likes

And smart groups inside databases can already be organized, only the ones in the sidebar not yet.

1 Like

Yes, I’m talking about the side bar, which seems the most intuitive way to access the various lists and smart lists.

• Global smart groups are generally intended for querying all open databases.
  • Local smart groups are for use in specific databases. They are still accessible in the Navigate sidebar, but are within the contents of the individual databases.

That’s good to know, I too would find it very useful.

But as you say, Christian, it depends on your resources, which I’d hope we all respect. Good luck!

2 Likes

Just adding my support to this question - it would be very helpful to be able to organize smart groups in the side bar

3 Likes

Adding my support to this request. I make extensive use of Smart Groups across Several Databases to increase my productivity and thus have a huge list which is a pain to scroll through. It would be great to organize them in folders.

1 Like

I think you can now, can’t you?

And how do you do that?

Well, I seem to have ended up with the smart groups from one particular database in folders—so it must be possible. They’ve been in those folders for some time but I suspect I merely dragged them in to the relevant folder once I’d created it.

Stephen

The problem seems to be with smart groups in the sidebar…

See screenshot of the sidebar:

Image 22-08-2023 at 12.59

Are these database-local smart groups or global ones? In the latter case, what exactly did you do to put them in a group?

Sorry to intrude, but for me they are database-local smart groups, as here (taken from the sidebar):

CleanShot 2023-08-22 at 13.06.18@2x

Stephen

And those could have been put into folders for some time (forever?):

Since August 2022 according to the Get Info on them.

Stephen

Just like all other database items, local smart groups can be grouped since their introduction.