OS 11.3, finder inbox disconnect with DT

I installed the inbox access in the finder sidebar, but when I drop something in this inbox alias, it does not appear in the DT inbox.

Also, in the finder inbox I cannot see the folders/groups that are in the DT inbox. The two don’t seem to be disconnected.

Any solution?

This was never supported, the inbox is just a special folder monitored by DEVONthink but not the actual global inbox. Did you check that the Inbox alias still points to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox?

I see. I renamed this sidebar alias to “Devon inbox” because "inbox"alone is too generic (confusing). Obviously this created and points to a new ‘devon inbox’ in the DT-folder in library. Is it not possible to rename the alias?

That’s not possible.

Welcome @verflixt

It is well known on these forums you should not rename the Global Inbox’s alias in the Finder.

Right, thanks.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The one in the Finder sidebar can’t be renamed without affecting the original, but what you can do is make an actual alias of the folder and drag that alias somewhere else, like the desktop. This alias can be renamed to anything you want without affecting the original.

1 Like

What kind of Mac do you have?

Today I moved from Intel (MBP) to an M1 Mac mini, and found that the desktop Inbox alias had become a folder that was no longer connected to DT. Recreating it by dragging ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox to the desktop didn’t help. Using the “make alias” command worked. Is that a safe way to connect to the Inbox?

Recreating it by dragging ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox to the desktop didn’t help.

Incorrect as that’s the actual folder.

Using the “make alias” command worked. Is that a safe way to connect to the Inbox?

That would be a correct (and safe) way to do it manually.

Thanks Jim. I misread your timely “Tips & Tricks” post of 2 April. Still, something odd happened when I moved to the M1 Mac. I can understand the original alias breaking, but instead the desktop “Inbox” turned into a folder.