Outlining Question

I know I may be asking too much, but is there any way to make OmniOutliner Pro and DT3 interact better? I would very much like to use my OmniOutliner templates in DT3. Is there any way to do that?

Or, in general, is there any other way to have an outline template saved in the DT3 template folder? Or should all complex outlining be done outside of DT3?

If anyone has any suggestions how to do well structured outlining w/in DT3, I’d be curious to hear how.

Thanks in advance.

You can of course store third-party file formats in the templates folder and use this to create new documents. However, editing still has to be done using an external editor.

I find I get more benefit out of DEVONthink when I depend on external editors. So the same with OmniOutliner. Instead of storing templates in DEVONthink I would index their location:

~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5/Data/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group

Thank you both for the info. If I may ask, what do you see as the benefit to indexing the Omni templates in DT3?

Because you will likely want to access those templates outside of DEVONthink and not want to have to launch DEVONthink just to access them. If they are indexed in DEVONthink then you can quickly use one as a starting point (click to open) for DEVONthink and still use OmniOutliner normally when you’re not in DEVONthink.

This is entirely OPTIONAL depending on your use patterns for DEVONthink and OmniOutliner.

1 Like