Override Duplicate Status

DEVONthink does a pretty good job of indicating duplicates. However, there are instances when documents marked as such are not really exact duplicates.

In those instances it would be beneficial if there were an option, in Get Info perhaps, to indicate the document not be marked as a duplicate. I would appreciate if this feature could be considered for inclusion in a future release.

Thanks…

Duplicates aren’t necessarily exact copies. They can also be contextually related based on their contents.

Enable Preferences > General > Stricter recognition of duplicates to also consider the file size and type in detecting duplicates.

I have a number of documents, for instance insurance policies, that are similar from year to year, but are not duplicates. DEVONthink is indicating they are duplicates even though their document names, content, and size differ.

If there were some method for a user to differentiate similar documents I believe it would be helpful. A checkbox to require documents to have the same name in order to be considered duplicates would be useful.

Have you tried Jim’s suggestion (Enable Preferences > General > Stricter recognition of duplicates to also consider the file size and type in detecting duplicates)? I have had no trouble with false duplicates with that setting on (despite, like you, having annual insurance documents etc. in my database)

2 Likes

Yes, I should have mentioned that option was previously checked.

Examples of documents indicated as duplicates include scanned and converted to PDF+Text Global Entry cards with different names, content, and size (312.9kb, 225.2kb). In addition to insurance policies, travel confirmations are also shown as duplicates when they’re named differently, contain unmatched content, and are of different size.

My understanding is that that should not be the case when stricter recognition is selected. @BLUEFROG?

With that option enabled they files shold only be detected as duplicates if they’re the same size and file type.

You can start a support ticket with screen captures of what you’re seeing as duplicates.

1 Like

Thanks, Jim…will do.