PDF annotation template does not include me as the author

I was hoping to be able to have a smart folder list all documents that I’ve created in the past month (by searching for items by author and date), but I’ve discovered that if I use the annotation template, it doesn’t list me as the author.

Is this correct? If so, is there a way around it?

You could either change the author of the annotations afterwards (see Tools > Show Document Properties) or you could create a copy of the annotation template (see Templates folder), choose “Show Package Contents” in the Finder, navigate to Contents > Resources > en.lproj and change the author of the “Annotation.rtf” document with TextEdit so that the right author will be used from now on.

I tried your second suggestion, and I found an english.lproj folder, but no Annotation.rtf inside this.

Scrolling further down inside the Resources folder, I located a Template Scripts which has an _Annotation___Cmd-Shift-Alt-A.templatescriptd file. Opening this in with Text Wrangler (it wouldn’t open with Text Edit) shows me an Annotation.rtf but I really can’t see what to do once I’m inside it (I am absolutely not a coder so have next to zero literacy here!)

Can you help any further?

You’re in the wrong place.

1. Select Data > New from Template > Open Templates folder.
  2. Right-click the Annotation templatescriptd file and select Show Package Contents
  3. In the Resources/en.lproj folder, double-click the Annotation.rtf and edit the author here. You can hardcode your name or change it to %author% to pick up the Author specified in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Editing > Author.

Sorry for the delayed response. I see where you mean now, but what I wanted to happen was for the Document Properties (shift+alt+cmd+P) to display my name as the author, as it does with a new rich text document. For some reason with the annotation, the field is blank.

You could do this: Inside the template package, open the RTF file in TextEdit and use File > Show Properties and hardcode your name.