PDF page dimensions vary --- JPG --> OCR'd PDF --> multipage PDF

Dear DT wizards,
Is there a way to control the page dimensions of a OCR’d PDF generated from a JPG? I sometimes take multiple photos of book pages and then convert them into a single OCR’d PDF document. When I do so, however, the page dimensions vary widely. Here’s an example showing one page with larger dimensions than another:

Is there some way to tell DT to output pages that are all the same dimensions? Is it possible, for example, to configure the output so that it preserves the original image dimensions, or converts all to some pre-specified dimensions, so all pages are the same dimensions?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I am aware there is no such setting in DT; you’d probably need a piece of stand-alone OCR software. Alternatively you might try using an app like Scanner Pro to take the photos and create the PDF in future. Scanner Pro can attempt to determine the page size, and you can change the setting after the fact. To my knowledge DT will then keep that size on OCR.

For your current problem: possibly you could print the PDF to a PDF using a “fit page to” setting? From your images I’m not sure that will be possible without prior cropping.

Thanks for the thoughts!

you’d probably need a piece of stand-alone OCR software. Alternatively you might try using an app like Scanner Pro

Oh lord! Let’s hope you’re wrong! I think DT may have some workable solution to this simple issue, since it seems pretty basic. Don’t you think?

As for me, as a user, this is one of the main reasons I am using the program, so being told to look into a different program doesn’t make me happy haha. DT bills itself as capable of batch processing a lot of info. And, after getting the kinks worked out months ago, I am indeed able to drop a lot of photographs of random stuff into DT and have DT OCR them automatically. When they’re consecutive book pages, I can of course then merge them into a single PDF–but with pages of different dimensions. Everything but the last part works well.

possibly you could print the PDF to a PDF using a “fit page to” setting?

You mean one-by-one? That would take a LONG time! But you have me thinking. Perhaps I could find a way of printing multiple images to a multi-page PDF document, and only after that run it through DT. Though that would be a real pain for me too, since I guess I would have to determine where one document ends and another begins by toggling through photos prior to importing to DT rather than be able to toggle through PDFs already in the DT environment.

I try not to, it uses up brain :rofl: There was an issue a while back when the OCR engine missized documents - and DT at the time said that DT has no integrated mechanism for resizing. Surprisingly it is not as basic as one might assume (try batch resizing with PDF programs… not all can).

No I was thinking along the lines of after you had put the PDFs together.

Alternatively simply setting a the viewer to page width or one page or something could be an option?

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts, er, synapses!

Blockquote[quote=“Blanc, post:4, topic:60631”]
No I was thinking along the lines of after you had put the PDFs together
[/quote]

I think I’m missing a beat! How does one resize individual PDF pages to fit a printer page?

With the above selections, if I select Print to PDF, then a document made up of different size pages will be resized such that the pages are then all A4 sized. Is that not what you need?

Hot damn–that works! Never did I know the individual pages would grow only individually lol! Thanks!!

1 Like