PDfs and Docx files searchable?

Hello,

I am wondering if DEVONsphere allows for the searching of OCR’d PDF and word files? One of the features I love about spotlight is that I can search for a keyword and if it exists within a PDF or doc file it appears on the results.

Unfortunately, I have had to move a lot of my old files over to a server which I connect to via SMB. Spotlight search does not play well with SMB and I am in search of an alternative. However, picking up on keywords in PDFs and docs is something I don’t want to lose.

Thanks.

Yes, but DEVONthink is not a Spotlight replacement. It is a document and information management application. Therefore, you should do things like dump or index entire drives worth of information into it. See: blog.devontechnologies.com/2015/ … nk-drawer/

Also, A functional trial that will run for 150 non-consecutive hours can be downloaded from here: http://www.devontechnologies.com/redirect.php?id=download

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have explained myself better in the first post. I write historical nonfiction, and historical newspaper articles. Over the years I have built up a large database which I organize via folder hierarchy (ex: placename/newspaperarticles (pdf) or placename/people/invididualsurnames or placename/geographical information) inside each folder is usually pictures with correct metadata (naming people or things in the photo) or articles/information in the form of OCR pdfs or docx files. If i’m wanting to write on a specific person I could just search the surname and find everything I have on that specific surname. Like I said above, since switching these databases to SMB I have lost that ability. From what I’ve read, and your previous response, it sounds like DEVONsphere is the perfect solution for what I’m doing, and something I should have been using in the first place instead of spotlight.

1 Like

DEVONsphere Express certainly may be what you’re looking for.

Did you try DEVONsphere? How did it go?