Please verify - see also doesn't care about groups, does it?

I recently imported thousands of messages from programming mailing lists…I was planning to go through them and start grouping things, but realized just how long it would take and that I didn’t particularly care how they were grouped anyway. The main reason I want them is so that they’ll appear in searches, as well as show up when I do “see also” on a different document. So really I’d be fine with just keeping all of these messages in a single group…

Am I correct in saying that “see also” doesn’t care about how stuff is grouped, and that there’s no advantage to grouping from a search / see also perspective.

I found that I can exclude a particular group from “Classify” which is nice, now DTPO won’t suggest that I move new articles into my massive mailing list dumping grouns.

That’s correct. See Also examines the contextual relationships of text Content, and makes suggestions of ‘similar’ documents, regardless of other characteristics/metadata such as group location, title, filetype, etc.

I create groups in my databases for my own convenience. The more interested I am in a topic, the more likely I am to create a group for that topic, and perhaps even create subgroups for that topic. But my main database has thousands of documents that haven’t been classified — some of those, for years. Once in a while, especially when I’m working on a project, I will — again, for my own convenience in thinking about information content — “cluster” related items into new or existing groups or subgroups. For example, I can restrict a search to my database Inbox (unclassified content) and move multiple search results into a new or existing group.

With the emergence of tagging in DEVONthink 2.0 I will probably spend a bit more time on group classification than I have in the past. But I won’t become a slave to it.

My financial records are the best organized of any of my topical databases. There’s no question that good organization makes preparation of tax reports much easier. :slight_smile:

That’s almost correct. Both commands work fine without groups but the results might be even better using a hiearchy of groups.

“I can restrict a search to my database Inbox (unclassified content) and move multiple search results into a new or existing group.”

How is this done? Sometimes I want to only search certain folders and leave others out.

Thanks - Ryan

Use the full Search window (Tools > Search). I use it for all of my searches.