PopClip Highlight extension and DT3

The problem with the pre-DEVONthink 3 PopClip extension is easy to see if you download a fresh copy and examine the components of the extension package (folder). It contains two AppleScripts that use:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"

if these are changed to

tell application ID "DNtp"

then the scripts will work with DEVONthink 3.

Problem is, you have to create you own custom extension – using the same ideas and files as the one provided by PopClip – since the one you download is signed and cannot be modified without some gray hacking.

Popclip is probably the single most-used app on my MBPro. Indispensable, really; a real time saver in so many ways.

2 Likes

Wait, PopClip isn’t core macOS? Could’ve sworn…:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad it’s not so Nick can make some coin on it. I certainly opened my wallet for this one, after about 5 minutes of using it. :slight_smile:

Popclip and BTT we all take for granted, they are like part of the Mac.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps Nick will allow colored icons at some point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like :smile:

I did open my wallet after 5 mins of using the app and I also sent Nick an email suggesting him to consider adding more items or ways to customisation for DT3. BTT is another app that I opened my wallet instantly after using it.

2 Likes

Yes, Hens, BTT resides on my Mac as a must have as well.

I have resisted BTT’s (and some other apps) siren song as far as purchasing.

I mentioned this to @Cassady before, but I don’t like to suggest dependencies to people: either things they’d have to purchase or things they have to install. That doesn’t mean I don’t mess about with other utils but…

1. I like processes, scripts that can be run on an out-of-the-box Mac.
  2. Not everyone has or uses these apps. And the opinions on which is “the best” vary wildly. People like Alfred and Launchbar. Not knock on either, but I have been a diehard Quicksilver user since Alcor first made it available all those years ago. I don’t think of any of them as better. Just as QS’s blog name says: LoveQuicksilver. :stuck_out_tongue:
  3. Outside of our apps, I can’t take responsibility if I tell you to install some app and your computer explodes.:flushed:
  4. I certainly support other developers, especially guys like Nick, but if I can roll my own, I’ll certainly be inclined that way first… and I usually am :slight_smile:

Hi there, I asked the developer if he would mind if I post my “modification” here and he don’t. So here’s a PopClip Highlight extension for DEVONthink 3

Highlight.popclipext.zip (59,5 KB)

I also sent him this and he will update it on the PopClip extension website so I think there will be no difference except the identifier.

2 Likes

Terrific - works like a charm, and it still works with DTPO.

Thank you

:+1:

You have real instead of integer for some modifiers in the internals of the extension.

The developer Nick has just posted an updated extension
https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/page/Highlight,
Perhaps it’s the one that @pete31 has modified…
And Nick also mentioned that he will work on the Devonthink extension.

I didn’t change those

What did you process the plist in?
The original PopClip extension (which I have installed here) correctly uses integers.

PrefEdit

I’d try and reproduce this since it’s definitely incorrect and talk to their development team if you can.

Wow – works perfectly and helps a lot – Thank you so much!