Possible to group Reading List files?

I’m exploring the Reading List, and am wondering if there’s any way to group files that I add to it, i.e., through Smart Group or a regular group in conjunction with a Smart Rule – or anything else. If so, how can one set this up?

Also, would this organizational grouping work with DTTG?

Thanks!

The Reading List is just a list and can’t be organized (only ordered). A group containing replicants might be an alternative to the reading list.

1 Like

Thank you, @cgrunenberg – I appreciate your input, as per usual.

I’ve been try to set up your suggested approach, but just realized that I was facing a basically problem (that I keep forgetting with DTP): I can’t replicated groups and files outside of a DB. I thought that I might be able to replicate files with the Global Inbox, but soon learned that doesn’t work, either. That’s why I thought the Reading List might provide a solution but, as you say, it “is just a list and can’t be organized (only ordered).”

Anyway, here’s my conundrum: in lieu of a Reading List that can be organized, I would like to replicate groups/files – and sync these groups/files with DTTG – but can’t do so with the full structure of the DB that I’m using, because of it’s large size.

Is it therefore possible to set this up in a portion of a DB to be synced (e.g., the Inbox within a DB), and that I can use for the replication that you’re suggesting? If not, do you have another suggested approach?

Thanks again for your terrific help…

No, you can’t sync part of a database.

1 Like

Thanks, @BLUEFROG – I just tried to do it, and figure out that it won’t work.

So…is there any other approach you (and other) might suggest for how I might be able to replicate discrete groups/files – and sync these groups/files with DTTG?

Thank you!

Have you considered creating smaller, more focused databases to sync instead?

1 Like

I have, but it’s a real pain. I’ve already split up my databases to better manage my work process. But breaking them up further just to segregate my reading list would be a real pain, since it would be splitting them from the work projects they’re attached to.

Any other ideas? Is there another approach you might suggest?

Thanks again!

Have you considered or tried one database per work project?

1 Like

I’ve actually thought about this before, but concluded it wasn’t the best way for me to structure my DB’s / groups / files in DTP.

The reason is: there’s some parity between certain projects – and so, I tend to replicate files between different (but related) projects in the same database.

Thanks for the suggestion, though…

Well, maybe there’s a way to suggest the ability to organize / group / sort files in DTP’s Reading List as a feature request.

Apart from that, do you have any other suggestions for how else I might able to accomplish what I’m seeking?

Thanks again…

Actually there are no such plans, I’m sorry. It’s just a list. For more complicated structures databases already provide all the required possibilities.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, and all of your help. You and @BLUEFROG offered many suggestions.

I feel that I’m a bit stuck trying to find a solution.

To quickly recap, I’m trying to accomplish the following:

(a) create three parent groups for priority reading: Urgent; High; Medium;

(b) use tags to group the files, so that they’re organized by their topic (I’ve created parity between Tags and each of my research projects, so any kind of tag-group configuration works perfectly.), and;

(c) sync these groups/files with DTTG;

I first tried setting up a way to replicate my reading groups and/or setting up various smart rule and smart groups, but soon remembered that I couldn’t do so outside of the database in which files are located.

I fully understand that the Reading List is just a list, and cannot be grouped and organized. I also understand that we’re unable to sync part of a database.

And I really do appreciate the other suggestions re: creating discrete databases but, as I said, I’ve already split up my databases and breaking them up further just to segregate my reading list would be problematic, since it would be splitting them from the work projects they’re attached to (i.e., separate but related project in which some files are replicated).

Anyway, @BLUEFROG & @cgrunenberg have already offered incredibly generous and thoughtful ideas (as per usual), but I’m just wondering if you might have any other suggestion – based on what I’ve laid out in my steps for a , b and c.

Thanks so much, again!

Any joy?