Previously imported will become replicants not working

Hi

I am frequently importing emails from apple mail by drag-n-drop into devonthink groups. The problem is that often I have previously already imported an email in another place under another context and DevonThink is refusing to create a replicant. Instead it skips the email because it was already imported. Checking/unckecking “Previously imported will become replicants” has no effect.

Kind regards,
Chris

PS: this is on devonthink 3 current 3.0beta6
I checked and the behaviour of DEVONthink Pro Office version 2.11.3 is the same (no replicant)

Thanks for the report! The option doesn’t appear to be working as expected. Development will have to assess this. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

OK I am glad that it is a bug and not something I did not understand properly. It would be great if the feature would be fixed as it is extremely useful in my way of working with devonthing.

Kind regards,
Chris

Do bear in mind it does relate to importing, not merely moving files. So if an email exists in a database, you cannot move another copy into the database. However, the preference should allow importing more than one copy.

My understanding is as follows. With the option checked:

• if I import (drag-n-drop) an email from apple mail to a group the first time it is imported
  • if I import some time later the same email to another group it should create a replicant at that folder

The second bullet does not work. Is my understanding correct? The reason why this is important is that I want to have complete conversations in one folder even if I had previously imported some of the mails somewhere else.

Development could weigh in on this (after returning from a summer vacation), but if the second point is referring to an import via drag and drop, then yes, it should create a replicant.

The next release will support this. In the meantime you could use the command “Message > Add to DEVONthink 3” in Apple Mail which supports this option.

Thank you. I’m definitely looking forward to the implementation!

about the workaround: What do you mean? I don’t have an entry Message -> Add to DEVONthink 3 in Apple Mail. I only have a script in the script menu that says Add message(s) to DEVONthink.

Did you install the plugin for Apple Mail (see DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons) and enable it in Mail’s preferences?

It sais “installed”. maybe because I have Devonthink pro 2 and 3 beta running in parallel?

And did you enable the plugin in Preferences > General of Apple Mail?

Thank you so much! I never realized that the plugin was disabled. Now the importing via menu works fine and it does create a replicant if the mail is already in the DB. That is great!