Problem adding quotes in the Annotations & Reminders inspector tab

I have created a markdown annotation file for a PDF document I am reading using the “Annotations & Reminders” inspector pane. Initially, I can “insert quotes” using the dropdown dialog box under the “Annotations” text box in the pane. But I seem to quickly fill some kind of a buffer and am prevented from inserting more than a few quotes. After a point, I am prevented from adding more quotes because I can no longer scroll down to the very last line in the “Annotations” text box. This feels very much like a bug but please correct me if I am wrong.

If I then open the markdown annotation file using the Devonthink markdown editor (not an external app such as BBEdit), I can scroll down a bit farther but there is no option for inserting a quote, other than copying-and-pasting from the PDF file. But that does not immediately produce the formatting that I like so much when using the “Annotations” dropdown menu to “insert quote”.

And then I again seem to reach the end of some kind of buffer in the Devonthink markdown editor and copying-and-pasting doesn’t work anymore because I can’t scroll down to the very last line. Saving the file, closing the editor, and then re-opening it can sometimes buy me more space at the bottom of the markdown annotation file, but not indefinitely.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Thanks in advance…

The length is actually unlimited. Which version of macOS & DEVONthink do you use? A screenshot would be useful.

I am running Devonthink 3.9 on Ventura 13.2.1 on a MacBook Air M1 with 8GB of RAM.

After I paste several quotes using the “Insert Quote” dropdown menu item in the “Annotations” box, the software seems to “hang”; I won’t be able to scroll up or down and I often see a kind of “jittering” motion in the visible text (in the “Annotations” box) when I try. Waiting a couple of minutes seems to allow the software to catch back up and then I am able to continue inserting quotes for a little while longer until the problem recurs.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

Also, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor . Select our application in the list of processes and press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop. Please attach this text file to your Support Ticket so we can inspect it.

PS: 8GB RAM is the bare minimum with modern machines.
For your next Mac, make memory a priority before drive space. External drives can be easily added, if needed, though 256GB should be the minimum drive capacity.

Done. Thanks for the help, you guys. I appreciate it.

Robert