Problems with capturing from Safari ? related to update to v.14

Since updating to Safari version 14 I have been unable to capture info using the Clip to Devonthink bookmarklet, the Take Rich Note service, and from the Safari Share menu. Tried the usual: rebooting, reinstalling etc.

What am I missing?

Are you using DT 3.6.1 - and is the Clip to DEVONthink extension reporting that version number too? Have you tried deactivating the extension, closing Safari, reopening and reactivating the extension? Can you not capture in any format using the Clip to DEVONthink extension, or is the problem limited to a specific format?

So far as the Take Rich Note service is concerned, problems were reported when Safari 14 was introduced; whether they persist, I don’t know.

Problems solved thru a combination of above suggestion and an update to Safari 14.0.2

Problem with “Clip to Devonthink” has recurred: It results in webloc being added to database no matter what format is chosen in the Sorter

And what URL are you trying to capture?

Any URL

And did you reboot the machine?

Yes - rebooted, reinstalled - after which it temporarily functioned properly (for about a day) and then the malfunction recurred.

This is an intermittent though persistent problem -[quote=“rpor, post:1, topic:60494, full:true”]

Since updating to Safari version 14 I have been unable to capture info using the Clip to Devonthink bookmarklet, the Take Rich Note service, and from the Safari Share menu. Tried the usual: rebooting, reinstalling etc.

What am I missing?
[/quote]

Please provide info about what’s actually happening and a URL that’s failing.

When using the Clip to Devonthink extension in Safari (v. 14.02) the clipping is saved as a “.webloc” despite having chosen pdf, rtf, or any of the other formats in the sorter dialogue. The same applies to the Safari “Share” menu item.

The problem is sporadic. I cannot identify specific circumstances that trigger it, but once it occurs, it persists when attempting to capture data from any and all URL’s. Restarting DT3, and/or Safari does not help. The behavior disappears on I reboot the computer, only to recur in seemingly random fashion 2-3 days later.

I am running DT3 v. 3.7.2, Safari 14.0.2, and Mac OS 10.14.6. It also occurs when using the Firefox (v.87) “Clip to Devonthink” extension

1 Like

As you noted - and has been discussed more than once in the forums - rebooting the machine is the proper solution when you consistently get unexpected bookmarks from web clipping.

I was hoping someone had a solution or suggestion for preventing this from happening in the first place. It happens often enough to be annoying to have to reboot the machine!

1 Like

If we had another solution, I would have presented it :slight_smile:

PS: if you’re seeing it recur with specific sites, you could keep track and provide URLs. There are gazillions of sites implemented a bajillion ways, so there are no 100% solutions in web clipping. :wink:

2 Likes

It happens to me too, regardless of site. What’s really weird is if I immediately do the clip again, I get the proper format. This is without restarting Safari, DT, or the computer.

I’ve gotten in the habit of enabling DT notifications, so after I clip something I keep an eye on those; if it reports saving a bookmark, I immediately do the clip again. Then later using the History view of DT, I just go through and delete the webloc versions of my clips.

It was pointed out in another thread that webloc is the default format when some error happens with the capture. If it had something to do with the specific webpage code, it seems odd that it would always work fine on the second attempt without changing anything at all.

M1 Mac, Monterey, DT 3.9.2.

It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an issue with the code. That’s a possibility. It could also be slow server responses or poor network quality (and yes, that’s more common than people imagine).

I did say “if”. Someone else suggested the code might be the culprit, not me.