Problems with .rtf and .rtfd files

Usually, when I create a .rtf file and add content to it that includes images, it automatically changes to .rtfd, but sometimes it stays as .rtf, so when I leave it and return later, all the extra content I added has gone.

The issue will persist for a while (days) then resume normal behaviour. I haven’t changed any settings. Restarting DT and/or my Mac doesn’t help.

Is there a way to create .rtfd, or to force the change?

1 Like

The format should automatically change depending on the attachments (not only images) of the rich text. Are you able to reproduce this? Which version of macOS and DEVONthink do you use?

I’m using MacOS 13.0.1 and DEVONthink 3.8.6.

I’ve been trying a few things and it seems to be dependent on the content. It usually happens when I try to copy the content of an email into a note. If I just add an image it works fine. There must be some odd thing in the email that’s upsetting it. When I try to put the same content into a TextEdit file, it won’t save, and tells me the file name is invalid, but there’s nothing wrong with the file name. The error message only happens when I paste the email into the file.

The filename of one or more attachments of the copied data is probably invalid and causing the issue in both DEVONthink & TextEdit. Which email client do you use?

Apple Mail.

Do all emails cause this or only emails from a certain sender or email client?

Only a few, but not all from the same sender.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks! Any chance that you could also forward/redirect such an email to the same email address?

Thank you for your help. I’ll do that.

At least now I know where the problem is, I can probably work around it.

Thank you for the email! I was able to reproduce the issue and the next release will include a workaround.

1 Like

Thank you! I was able to delete a few parts of the email, and make it work, but I was just guessing where there might be a problem. It made me think of using the “reveal codes” option in Word Perfect in the 90s to sort out formatting problems!

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working now. :slight_smile:

1 Like