Problems with sync between DTTG and DTP

Hi, I thought I had a bug in testing DTTG but on digging it may be an issue with different sync stores… see attached screenshots.

(note using DT3 version 3.5.2 and DTTG version 2.8 (16448)

I sync databases to my iOS devices, iPad Pro and iPhone.

The only real database I add stuff to on both is the one called iPad-iPhone. I began to notice things weren’t syncing… so did a few test text file adds and it confirmed no longer syncing…

Then I did a bit of digging - the iPhone seems to sync to a store called DTP-Drobox-sync.dtCloud, and my iMac seems to sync to DTP-Dropbox-sync.
Don’t know how I did that but it seems ive created two different sync stores…
is there any way I can re-sync these databases? Or do I need to export the iOS one, delete it and then re-import either in the Mac or on the phone?

thanks,

Joe

According to these screenshots you seem to use the same sync store DTP-Dropbox-sync on both devices:

The Mac just doesn’t show the extension dtCloud, that’s all.

Ah, that’s a relief!
thanks for quick reply and clarification
now I’ll do a bit of digging to see why its not synching…
Joe

OK, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but it seems my databases are all synching to the sync store but none of them seem to update the others…
See screenshots below, all from the Inbox/iPad-iPhone sub inbox

1-from DT3

2-from iPhone

3-from iPad

any suggestions as to how I can resolve this?
thanks,
Joe

Is this definitely always the same inbox? Were any issues shown/logged on any computer/device?

Hi Christian,

the problem exists in the iPhone-iPad inbox (which is shown as a subset of the master inbox) but also in other databases.

for example, I have added test text files in the root of iPhone-iPad and also in a database I have for serial nos / software licences and also in a new database I created on Mac for photography…
also in iPhone-iPad database my iPad shows 49 orphaned files which are not orphaned in my macOS database.

I have noticed some strange behaviour on the iPad (running test flight betas on both iOS devices) where, on my iPad Pro, the splash screen can take minutes to get past the DT logo!

And I occasionally get error messages when I force a resynch but when I try it now I can’t replicate the error to get a message. Will try again and post if if it appears.

all a bit strange.

best regards,

Joe

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.
Thanks.

will do!

sent bug report - do I need to do the same from my iPhone and/or iPad?
Joe

I’ll let you know if I need it when I get to your ticket.

I am running into the exact same problem here, on both my iPhone 8 and iPad Pro, both running 14.0.1.

Sync works well for all the normal databases, but the Inbox database does not align between the two iDevices and the Global Inbox on the Mac running DT3.

I ended up moving individual notes to the Inbox of a different database to move the from the iPhone to the sync’d database, but since the inbox does NOT seem to support a quick way to select all the items, I have stopped wasting time moving them in chunks, as I am talking about 830 items!

There is clearly something wrong going on in both iPhone and iPad.

I see mention of a TestFlight build 2.8, but the OP @joe.lafferty seems to have been using it and still facing the issue.

@cgrunenberg @BLUEFROG please let me know how I can make sense out of this nasty situation, as I really want to get all my DT3/DTTG devices aligned.

Many thanks,

Luca

Were any issues logged on any device? Are you able to verify the sync store successfully?

@cgrunenberg according to the DTTG documentation, I do not see any dot in the cloud icon, nor any exclamation mark in the settings page.

A quick verification from DT3 on the Inbox store (which is synced via Dropbox) gives no error whatsoever.

Is there anything more that I can do? Should I just get rid of the application on the iDevices completely, and then reinstall from scratch?

Thanks,

Luca

Is this a Dropbox sync?

Yes indeed Jim, it is.

Could it be that I am running into the pesky Dropbox issue that few are facing?

I don’t get any weird messages on DT3 on my Macs, thought, and the global inbox syncs fine on the two Macs.

It’s just that the iPhone and iPad seem to have disjointed inbox, which don’t sync at all, in spite of having the sync correctly configured, apparently. Go figure.

Could it be that I am running into the pesky Dropbox issue that few are facing?

Yes, this is likely the case, especially since it’s only affecting one database and throwig no apparent errors.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket so we can look at the logs, etc.

Thanks Jim, I have sent in the bug report from DT3 overnight, let’s see if anything meaningful comes up from the logs.

Meanwhile I have created an iCloud sync location and am using that for the inbox, seems to be working fine now.

I might try to remove the inbox from Dropbox altogether, and then create it again there.

Let me know if you think that might help to get the inbox sync unstuck.

Thanks, Luca

BTW as an additional maybe useful bit of information, when I changed to iCloud for the inbox sync, all the devices, DT3 and DTTG, came up with a message saying that some 4 items could not be synced.

Silly me I did not take the screenshot.

Hello folks, I think this is the correct thread to post an observation and concern I have. Today I opened DevonTHINK To Go on my iPad running iOS 14.0.1 and noticed my locally synced databases all had counts of 0. My heart jumped when I tapped each database to view their expected previously synced contents: there was nothing at all listed or showing in any of the synced database. Yikes! I hadn’t seen this happen before, and am wondering if it might be an iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 issue? Or did something nefarious like a zero day on my iPad siphon my data out of my synced DTTG databases? For DTTG on my iPad I have biometric protection enabled and purchased the Pro Package. I only local sync with a Mac on my local network, the syncing option is to download as full files. There is no WebDAV or third party cloud involved.

As my heart was racing, I turned my Mac on and opened DEVONthink 3 to check everything was fine (all good, all databases are there) and then re-synced from the iPad. The re-sync seemed very very quick so I wonder if my synced databases on the iPad were there all along but hidden? Could there be a bug related to iOS 14 / iPadOS 14 displaying the contents of synced databases? Additionally and possibly useful: I haven’t used DTTG on the iPad in quite some time, maybe a week or two or three, I don’t recall exactly but it has probably been at least a few weeks since installing iPadOS 14 in mid September 2020. Is it possible by not opening DTTG for a while, if DTTG remains in “dormant" state unopened / unviewed for an extended period of time, could this lead to an issue related to what I observed today? Further to note, I have never installed any betas of iPadOS. I installed Apple’s public release of iPadOS 14 soon after it first came out in September of this year. For DTTG on the iPad I enabled in Settings both Local Network and Background App Refresh. Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions on these observations.

This is the only report I’ve seen of this but no, I am aware of no known iOS 14 bugs that would cause this behavior.

In DEVONthink To Go, select Help > Contact Us to start a Support Ticket. Thanks!