Question about uploading databases

Agree. However, sync is (or can be) complicated when the instruction not read and assumptions over-ride all else, though.

1 Like

That would more or less confirm what I’m saying - each of your examples is an instruction to a user to do something; whereas the upload database message is an instruction to the software from itself (the user has no means to conform to the instruction).

Thanks for your detailed feedback, which I appreciate - it shows you engaging and taking my comments & suggestions seriously, quite apart from showing why you do your job and I do mine :wink: From a personal viewpoint I agree with you; I didn’t actually (need to) use to handbook to set up DT at all, referring to it only when I got stuck (I’m not quite sure that would be the route I would recommend to others, but it worked well enough for me).

I have just reread the section on sync; one thing I stumbled over a while back - although it’s actually clear from the wording - is Bonjour & Local Sync Store. When I first read the handbook, I (falsely) assumed Local Sync Store to somehow be associated with Bonjour. I think there may be two reasons for that: a) the image directly below the sub-heading “Bonjour” invited me to overlook the heading and with that the fact that the text below belonged to a specific sync method; so I read “Local Sync Store” as being a heading under the general description of Bonjour, and as such as an associated form of sync. b) whilst the text clearly states “There is no intermediary location where data is stored”, and that equally clearly excludes use of a local sync store, I chose to ignore the contradiction rather than go back and look for my mistake. Others seem to make the same mistake (various examples across the forum). 2 ideas then: move the image down by one paragraph. You loose nothing by doing so, but the title is directly associated with a descriptive text. And add “, i.e., no local sync store” to the sentence on intermediary location.

In the helpful section on “Sync Issues”, whilst the text clearly states to check the log, the first section I would read would be “Things to try first” - a list which does not include checking the log. I wonder whether moving that amazingly helpful piece of advice to the list might be helpful.

You describe in the handbook that uploading databases may take some time; perhaps a few words along the lines of “in this time a message “not yet synced - upload database” will be displayed together with a rotating wheel. The wheel will stop rotating when the upload finished or if the download has permanently failed; both will be documented to the log”.

Again, I would ask that you should read this as my ideas and thoughts only; I fully acknowledge that I lack insight into all manner of factors which may be relevant, and that other users may well read this whilst shaking their head and thinking “wow, what a weird train of thought”. The handbook as it stands is an amazingly thorough piece of work and the best I have ever received with a piece of software. It sets DEVONthink apart from many other pieces of software and is worlds apart from other - far, far more expensive - software I use in a professional capacity.

Thanks for your time, Jim - I appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome and I also appreciate the input.
I hope no one thinks I feel the documentation is perfect and beyond reproach. From the first draft (six months of hard work (in addition to my normal duties)) and first release I (we) knew it would evolve and be refined.

I do have some ideas about improvements and additions, but (1) I have my capable editor, @eboehnisch, to consider, and (2) we are cautious to allow the documentation to try and go beyond what it should. This is what happened as the help naturally evolved over many years, leading to things that were out of date, instructions or descriptions repeated in too many places, and discrepancies in what those instructions or descriptions were in different places in the help.
That’s why I opened the Help with…

And as I said, I’ve thought about dividing the sync into smaller, more bite-sized chunks but it needs to make sense in the document flow too. In my mind it feels like a separate chapter would make more sense but I’m not a fan of the idea.

Perhaps Help > Documentation > In & Out

Sync: Explained
Sync: Bonjour
Sync: Dropbox
… etc.

…sections could work as that’s how I broke down the sidebars in the Windows chapter.

Something to think about, I suppose.

PS: In case anyone is going to +1 my idea, also bear in mind this would not be a trivial addition or refinement to the documentation. We all have plenty on our plates, so available time has to be considered too.

Thank you for the good wishes. Funny your mentioning prodding people who bug you with your walking stick. I’m currently reading Scheinwelten – Ostfrieslandkrimi (Büttner und Hassenkrug ermitteln 15) by Elke Bergsma and in the series (I’m working my way through all 26 of the books) there continually reappears a very old woman who is in her 90s and who is constantly poking people with her stick.

I’m a sucker for Krimis, I’m afraid.

And all the best to you, too.

And this is exactly the reason why we structured the documentation/help in a ways that we hoped would not only finding things easy enough but also allow us to update it properly with our frequent software releases.

2 Likes

That actually amazes me each time you release an update - which is pretty often :slight_smile: I think you both “know” me well enough to know that I’ll happily speak my mind, and make suggestions if I think they are warranted. Don’t let that distract from the fact that the software, the handbook and the support blow me away - you remain the company which for me is in a league of its own.

5 Likes

Thank you very much, @Blanc :pray:t2:

1 Like

Since we’re at it: I’m also a very happy customer. Though probably not even scratching at the surface of DT’s capabilities, it makes my life easier every day. And the support is definitely playing in a league of its own (is that even an English metaphor?).
If only the JavaScript support would be better… (just teasing).

3 Likes

it certainly is, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

:relaxed:

That’s very appreciated, my friend.

And thanks for your assistance and suggestions with JavaScript approaches. It is certainly helpful to readers who are inclined to it.

1 Like

“In a controlled, well thought out environment, this could make sense to someone.”

1 Like

Hahaha!
That is true for many.

@Blanc, so here it is, 2 months later and I’m coming back. I had mentioned that I was going to leave DT for Keep It because my needs were simple and DT was overkill for me (plus a couple of other reasons I mentioned).

It turns out that totally unexpectedly, I’m undertaking a big research and writing project – something I never expected to be doing at this late stage in my life. There’s really nothing out there that I know of that can handle this kind of need other than DT.

So I’m glad to be back with the DT folks and have pledged to myself that I’ll be more patient with any frustrations that arise. They most likely arise due to my own limitations in any case.

And once again, thanks for your reasoned responses when I did so rudely express my frustrations.

6 Likes

That’s kind of you :slight_smile: Welcome back - I’m glad to see you :slight_smile:

2 Likes