Question on smart rule / item manipulation after migration from evernote

after importing from evernote I have a lot of groups with just two files: a pdf and a formatted note containing nothing but a link to the pdf. now I’d like to clean that up by

• deleting the fomatted note,
  • moving the pdf up one level in the group hierarchy
  • deleting the (now empty) group

and obviously I’d like to do that automatically. my 1st thought was to do that via a smart rule, but as I could not find the appropriate search criteria, I am wondering if this is the right approach? I am sure others have encountered this before - any ideas / experiences? thanks in advance!

The easiest solution might be to select the unnecessary groups, choose Data > Ungroup and finally to delete the obsolete formatted notes.

1 Like

Makes sense, but with thousands and thousands of Evernote notes split into a Group/PDF/Formated Note, that is easier said than done.

I created a Smart Group based on the type “Formatted Note”, but the issue is, that list also contains the “normal” actual notes…

Would be nice to have a filter on “Formatted Notes generated after Evernote PDF note import”…

Degrouping, and moving only the PDF files to a specific database probably will partially will work for me. The Evernote “cruft” and actual notes will be separated then…

As you can read, I myself am preparing a migration ;-).

well, I have cleaned up my GTD process manually as per @cgrunenberg’s suggestion, but the majority of the imported PDFs is still in these strange little groups…

unfortunately I cannot come up with a way to correct this with smart rules, so I am starting to contemplate learning apple script, which I have wanted to do for a long time anyways. my gut feeling is that there should be a way to fix it that way and in the meanwhile as a wiki I can leave things as they are - after all I can find the stuff I need thanks to my tags and search…but if you can come up with another solution, I’d obviously be very curious to hear about it…

on a related note: @selsrog you might want to look at the OCR of your imported pdfs. there is a separate thread here on the subject. in addition I seem to recall that EN does not OCR files over a certain size (e.g. books), so you might find a number of pdf’s that are not OCRed yet. so yet another thing DT will add on top of EN…:slight_smile:

That would open up a flood of other requests if we implemented something with that level of specificity.

How about zipping and posting an example formatted note?

@bluefrog not sure, what the numbers look like, but I would not be surprised if you see quite some influx from EN these days due to the “changes” they are making (@selsrog & I are just two examples). so smoothing that transition might be in your interest…;-). but like I said, I wanted to learn apple script anyways…:smiley:

all these formatted notes contain is a link to another document, mostly a pdf, but could be ppt as well for example. so these import groups are fairly easy to identify: a group with some item (let’s call it the document) plus a formatted note containing nothing but a link to the document.

the goal would be as follows:

if there is a group containing nothing but a document plus a formatted note with just a link to the document do the following:

• rename the document to the name of the formatted note
  • delete the formatted note
  • move the document up one level
  • delete the now empty group

now I just need to learn to code this in apple script…shouldn’t be too hard I guess…:slight_smile:

Can you zip and post an example note?

no entirely sure what you would like to see, but here is an example of such a formatted note only containing a link as the result of the evernote import.

I dragged the note out of DT to the desktop, zipped it and here you are…interestingly in DT it shows up as a formatted note, but extracet to the desktop it became an HTML file. are formatted notes HTML?

Verteilung Wohnkosten in Österreich.html.zip (1.2 KB)

Thanks.
Yes, formatted notes are HTML, just like Evernote notes are.

interesting, thanks…out of interest: why does DT differentiate between formatted notes and HTML documents then?

@toao Hi, did you ever get that script

• rename the document to the name of the formatted note
  • delete the formatted note
  • move the document up one level
  • delete the now empty group

written as it looks like what I need to finish my EN migration to DT?

Cheers