Question regarding automatic Bonjour sync in the background

Hi,

I’m testing Bonjour as an alternative to CloudKit sync and it’s working well so far.

With automatic sync enabled and devices on the same network, is there an automatic background sync, assuming DT is open in the background? In my admittedly not very extensive testing, this doesn’t seem to be the case. Automatic sync is enabled and does kick in a couple minutes after opening DTTG (though not immediately).

Background sync would be super useful, since without it I would have to remember each time getting home to open DT both on iPad and iphone.

// edit: I’m also curious about the interplay between Bonjour and CloudKit when they are used together. Does one take precedence over the other, if file versions are different? Does Bonjour, if it’s available, sync first before the sync store in CloudKit is updated?

As always, appreciate any input and ideas.

This has been covered many times in here: iOS’ Background App Refresh option is controlled entirely by iOS and only allows approximately a 30 second window, when it allows it to happen. This means we can’t control if, when, or how long it happens. Subsequent syncs are faster since there’s less data being transferred.

There is no direct interplay between sync methods, in terms of what files are synced. They are independent methods.

Development would have to comment further, but I believe Bonjour has a shorter interval than remote sync solutions.

Thanks for clarifying, @BLUEFROG. Just getting familiar with Bonjour and was not aware that this had been discussed.

I’m still not 100% clear on whether or not it is generally possible to use CloudKit and Bonjour in conjunction. It would seem that this offers the best of both worlds: Fast sync on local networks and no need to upload first, while also enabling access and immediate sync on the go.

However, I guess there could potentially be a greater risk of version conflicts? The handbook doesn’t generally recommend using both, but I’ve seen users in these forums commenting that this combination does work well.

Using a Bonjour and a remote sync is supported in DEVONthink and is used successfully by many people.

The caveats of using a remote sync option still apply however.

That’s perfect, I will give it a go!

Supplementary question on same topic please:

Does CloudKit sync happen in the background using DTTG, ie without DTTG being open?

I have been using Bonjour (only) with DT3 and DTTG and I always make sure DTTG has sync’d before using it. Would having CloudKit sync enabled in parallel with Bonjour mean that DTTG would be ready to go straightaway?

Thanks.

Just found this thread where the answer seems to be that cloud syncing methods are subject to the same iOS background refresh limitations as Bonjour, so DTTG will not be be updated with the app closed (not foreground).

Correct. Background App Refresh is entirely under iOS’ control and would affect any sync method.

Thanks for confirming.

No problem.