Question regarding demo period + OCR + multiple languages

Hi everyone,

Recently downloaded a demo version of DEVONthink.
I’m quite impressed, but at the sametime also realize it will (and needs to) take time to get insight in all DEVONthink’s capabilities.

Today, it seems, without any clear message, my demo period has come to an end.
1° Is there any way to check whether the period has expired?

I’m working on a new macmini on which not all software has been installed yet. So there’s no OCR on the machine yet.
2° Will DEVONthink be capable of scanning with OCR and searching through these scanned documents in foreign languages?

3° Is DEVONthink capable of searching and monitoring in other languages than English?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Erwin

I believe the trial period for DEVONthink Pro Office is 150 hours runtime and email import and OCR scanning is limited to 200 emails/20 pages of scans daily. If I remember correctly, the trial period info (remaining hours) displays on the splash screen (at launch and from the DEVONthink Pro Office menu, About DEVONthink Pro Office. You can email DEVON and request an extension of the trial if expired.

On the language questions, you might get a better answer by asking specifically which languages you are looking to be supported. The following may help, from the DEVONthink Pro Office manual:

Which languages does DEVONthink Pro Office support? DEVONthink Pro Office supports multilingual documents and Unicode and so supports all Asian languages including Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, as well as non-Latin scripts such as Cyrillic, Hebrew, and Arabic (including writing from right to left; use Format > Alignment > Writing Direction to adjust the writing direction).

Note: Asian languages, however, do not use word separators such as white space or punctuation. When searching you need to use wildcards. Use ~word or word in the search field or search window. The built-in ABBYY OCR engine does not support Asian languages, Arabic, or Hebrew due to licensing restrictions.

I have documents in English, French and Latin. Once OCRd, no problem running complex searches on them. And maybe it’s my imagination, but my sense is that the AI works too. Better results in French, but probably because the scan quality on the Latin documents is not always fantastic.