re-categorizing items

I’m curious as to the process by which DTPro categorizes things.

If I import a folder with subfolders from the Finder, DT “takes in” those categories. What if I later move items around, into other folders or newly created folders? Will the items be re-categorized automatically?

Thanks

Most users tend to use Finder folders with some organizational concept in mind. For example, a user may have a folder that contains primarily cooking recipes, and another that contains primarily invoices.

When imported into DT Pro using Import > Files & Folders, each of those folders will be imported into corresponding groups in DT Pro. DT Pro will analyze and “learn” the contextual relationships among the documents in each group.

So the next time you import a cooking recipe into DT Pro, it will (if you have set the auto-classify feature) move that new document in to the group containing other recipes. It will do this based on the commonalities of terms and contextual relationships typically found in recipes.

Now suppose you add a number of subgroups to the recipe group, and manually organize the original contents into those subgroups, e.g., grouping within subgroups pork recipes, beef recipes, poultry recipes, seafood recipes, etc. Let’s make it even more sophisticated. You create subgroups for Chinese, French, Cajun and dessert recipes. In reorganizing contents manually, you may replicate some of the contents, e.g., a pork dish into both the Chinese and pork groups.

As you do this, DT Pro is dynamically changing its classifications of groups and documents, based on the changing organization of the database. It’s looking at the text content and relationships of the documents within each group.

So the next recipe imported, e.g., a Chinese dish, shrimp with lobster sauce, may get replicated automatically into the Chinese and seafood groups.

Does that help?

Bill_DeVille wrote, Now suppose you add a number of subgroups to the recipe group, and manually organize the original contents into those subgroups,…
As you do this, DT Pro is dynamically changing its classifications of groups and documents, based on the changing organization of the database. It’s looking at the text content and relationships of the documents within each group.

So the next recipe imported, e.g., a Chinese dish, shrimp with lobster sauce, may get replicated automatically into the Chinese and seafood groups.— end quote —

Thank you Bill, that does help. As more and more items enter the database, it’s possible and desirable to split the existing topics into smaller sub-topics, as well as reclassifying things that were out of place, and I am glad that DT is able to keep up with this process. I am more impressed than ever with DT’s sophistication, based on your last sentence: that DT can learn that an item that concerns topic A and topic B should be replicated so that it can be present in both folder A and folder B.