Hi folks, I hope all is well. I am wondering if the following is a good way to start to move from DT2 pro office to DT3 pro while keeping my DT2 operable.
Make a copy of my databases - copying .dtbase2 files to .dtbase3 files.
Open them in DT3 and then setup the required syncing again.
Any gotchas with this plan?
DT3 databases are still called .dtbase2.
The recommendation from DT is to install the beta fresh on a separate user account, for safety. If you want to dive in then:
- Copy existing database to a backup folder.
- Install DT3 and simply run it against existing databases
- DT3 will not see the DT2 global Inbox. If you have data there to migrate, you’ll need to do it manually. My solution was to create a temporary database in DT2, move the inbox items into it and open that with DT3. The alternative is to go into your user Library in Finder and manual move the items, but I don’t recommend that.
- DT3 add-ons (such as Mail plugins) will replace DT2 ones. If you have keyboard shortcuts set up, you may have to relocate them to the new plugins
- If you use Inbox Finder integration (inbox in the sidebar) and keep DT2, you’ll have 2 Inbox items in the sidebar. Make sure you know which is which.
- Until DT3 is out of beta, make regular backups of your databases.
Hi folks, thanks for the reply! In another thread I was told I could move the sync settings by moving the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Cloudy to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3. If I decide to move back to DT 2 for some reason could I keep a backup of ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Cloudy around and put it back in place if need be ?