My goal is to have a full sync of all databases on my iPhone/iPad. But I cannot reliably make DTTG sync all databases (or sync a specific database at all).
Here is my setup
A dozen databases in DEVONthink,
- some with thousands of text files, word files, and smaller PDF files.
- some databases only have larger PDF files (5-10 MB each), and database-size is up to 10GB.
- largest database has around 12 GB.
- Sync via “Local network”
- Schedule: Automatic
- Keep all
DEVONthink is always running on my Mac, and my Mac never goes to sleep because I use a tool that keeps it awake.
To start syncing I start DEVONthink to Go, drag the list down so that sync starts (or is there another way to trigger sync for all databases?), now I can see on the bottom of that list an update of the groups that are being synced. Usually sync starts with “Global inbox”.
When I switch to another app, DTTG will stop syncing, so usually I keep the app running, dim the screen of my iDevice and leave it alone for an hour. After a few minutes the app is not responsive anymore. It seems to do something, but I can’t click anything because it’s frozen.
Here are my problems with sync
One database never syncs. No matter what I do (open the database in DTTG, drag the list down, leave it open). It is not even the largest. It has only PDF files (3-10 MB). But not even one pdf file gets synced to
- Settings for that database: Download files: Always (cannot change to “On demand” anyway)
All the other databases do not sync reliably:
- At night, I open the app DTTG, trigger sync. I can see sync progress (the cloud symbol at the bottom shows sync progress), I dim the screen and leave my iPhone/iPad plugged in for the night.
- Next morning I open an arbitrary database in DTTG and I can see that not all the changes I made in DEVONthink are synced to my iPhone/iPad.
I need a full copy of all my databases on the go, because there are times when I need to leave my Mac at home and have my iPad only with me. And currently I can’t do that due to sync problems.
What am I missing? Anything I can change to make it work?
So obviously some prefer WebDAV over “Local Network” sync (Direct Connection without using a document store), and iCloud seems to be the least reliable solution.
The problem with most of the hosted WebDAV solutions (Telekom Magenta, CloudMe, Box.com) is that there is a file size limit (max 5GB). Some of my databases have 8 to 11 GB. So that won’t work.
So “Local Network” sync isn’t really working for me, and all other options have their limitations. - I am tempted to concolude that DTTG is not a reliable solution, at least for me. And I am forced to carry my Mac with me, whenever I need to do work on the go.