removing downloaded documents, without deleting them

There’s probably a ridiculously simple answer for this that I’m overlooking. After viewing a document on my iPhone that DTTG has downloaded from my computer, how do I return it just being indexed, rather than downloaded? If I delete it, it deletes the document from my computer. TIA

Not to be pedantic, but it’s not “indexed” (as DTTG2 does not allow for indexed files). We internally call it a “shallow Synced file”.

You can left-swipe on the record and choose “More…” and Purge the record. You can also just hit the Organize icon (square with downward arrow) in the bottom toolbar.

Thank you. Exactly what I needed. So am I understanding correctly that “purge,” simply means purge from this device?

Correct, purge removes the downloaded data file from that device but leaves its metadata in place. You can download the data later again from your sync store when needed.

Hi, Bluefrog.
I’m wondering how can do this (“purge”) in current DTTG version.
I do left-swipe on the record and choose “More…”, but there isn’t a “Purge” option.
And also I don’t find the “Purge” option in the Organize (square with downward arrow) in the bottom toolbar.
Thanks.

Purge is only available when using a shallow sync, i.e., Download Files: On Demand for a given database.
If a file in a database in DEVONthink To Go has a liitle blue cloud icon, it is shallowly synced and doesn’t have the contents. If there are no contents, they can’t be purged since that’s removing the contents.

Here file 002 can be purged, but the other files can’t be purged.

Also, if you have a group set to fully sync, none of the files in it can be purged, since that’s logically contrary.

1 Like

I got it. Exactly what I needed.
Many thanks. It is very kind of u.
Too many “tricks” in DTTG, I can’t follow it. :dizzy_face:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this helpful thread-

Adding another dimension to the question-

I currently open my DTTG files in adobe, make highlights using that app, and then I notice that the highlights are retained in the document in DTTG and also show up on my device running DT and on those files. I am excited about this feature and wish to keep using it. However, I noticed that each text that I’ve highlighted in DTTG eliminates my ability to “purge” the document after I’m done reading it/marking it up (it seems as if I can only purge unedited documents). Is there a way that I can purge the document after I’ve marked it up without losing the mark up if it is already synced with my main device? Thank you!