Removing Metadata from PDF

Hi all,

I’m a fairly new user of DTPO and am currently reorganising my database to make better use of the AI. One thing I’m interested in playing around with or investigating is adding keywords to my files (mostly PDFs and associated RTF notes) using the Show Properties dialogue, then using smart groups based on those keywords to automatically keep my files organised.

The problem I’m having is that some of my PDFs won’t let me edit the metadata at all, which means I’ll have lots of files with keywords added by others that are not necessarily relevant for me. I know that as a workaround I could exclude these files from searches etc so the smart groups wouldn’t see them, but I’d like to be able to add my own keywords to these files if possible.

Does anyone know of any way to remove the metadata from an existing PDF (without running it through the OCR)?

Thanks in advance, Dan

I’m guessing that you are trying to edit the properties of PDFs located directly in a Smart Group and/or search results, and that won’t work. You need to select the file(s) and reveal them in the database with ‘Data>Reveal’ (Cmd-R). Then you should be able to edit all of the properties fields.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I’ve actually dumped all my PDFs back into my Inbox so am dealing with them directly rather than via a search or smart group.
:question:

Dan

You can also add them to the Spotlight Comments field in the Info panel. These are used by the AI so it would help you in the long run and you don’t need to modify your PDFs.

The AI uses only the contents of files, meta data or comments are not (yet) used.

This is confusing (Annard vs. Christian). Does AI now uses the comments field or does it not??

Nils

It doesn’t.