Renaming a database in DEVONThink does not result in name change on DTTG

Hello, first time poster - I had a look through the forum but couldn’t find anything on this. I’m trialling DT and have been loving it so far. One oddity I noticed is that if I rename a database on the desktop client, the corresponding name in DTTG on my iOS device doesn’t seem to update. Is this by design? What’s the recommended way to resolve this?

Many thanks

Did you rename the database in the Finder or change the internal name of the database (see File > Database Properties)?

I just clicked on the database name in the sidebar and changed it from there. That seems to have changed the database filename, too.

What kind of sync location do you use to synchronize your database(s) with DEVONthink To Go?

I just clicked on the database name in the sidebar and changed it from there. That seems to have changed the database filename, too.

Do you mean you just now changed the name or that’s what you originally did?

That’s what I originally did - I was responding to the question above asking what I had done.

So, to clarify: I changed the database name in DT using the sidebar. This also changed the database filename in the underlying file system. What it didn’t do: change the name of the synced database on DTTG, which retained the old name.

It’s entirely possible there’s a good reason for this (e.g. multi-user environments) and it is intended behaviour. I’m just kicking the tires comprehensively as I intend to get a Pro license.

To answer the other question above, I’m syncing using iCloud/Cloudkit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Was the name change the only change you expected to sync, i.e., did you make other changes to the database that would have synced or just changed the name and watched for the name in DEVONthink To Go to change too?

Thank you, yes I made some other changes too - adding and curating documents - but that all synced fine. But no matter how long I waited, the database name in DTTG didn’t change.

Interesting… I’m not seeing any issue whether the renaming is done in DEVONthink To Go’s Info popup or DEVONthink’s Database Properties.

Are you syncing with more than one sync location?

Okay that’s interesting, so it’s not by design - the database name on DTTG should be changing. In my case I used a workaround - deleting and re-syncing the database on DTTG. Changing database names I guess isn’t something you should need to do as a matter of course.

No, I wasn’t syncing with multiple locations - just one instance of DT and one of DTTG. Is syncing to multiple DT locations (using the native Cloudkit functionality) generally discouraged? In my full rollout I’ll be intending to run one instance on a Mac Mini and one on a Macbook, in addition to DTTG, all synced over Cloudkit, which I understand the licensing permits.

Is syncing to multiple DT locations (using the native Cloudkit functionality) generally discouraged?

Please clarify this. There is only one CloudKit sync location available in DEVONthink.

Right, there’s only one remote location - iCloud, synced over the Cloudkit framework - I just mean that I will be syncing that with three local machines - a Mac Mini, a Macbook and an iPhone using DTTG. I assume that’s no problem.

I see now that your original question was whether I was syncing to two remote locations - the answer to that is no, just iCloud.

No, that should be no issue for our sync engine.

Thank you very much for your help, all of it is much appreciated. Love the product.

1 Like

You’re welcome and thanks for the nice feedback :slight_smile: