Repair Failed

Another thread, (Duplicate files not showing as duplicates) has prompted me to ask about an abiding problem that I have lived with for some time. I regularly run Tools>Verify & Repair, and I always seem to come up with 2 orphaned files and so run repair with the result that I get the message “Repair failed 2 errors left”. Any suggestions for further action? Since reading the thread referred to above I have also downloaded and run COCKtail once but the problem still remains. :cry: Thanks for any help.

1 Like

It’s time to run Tools > Rebuild Database. Note that you can refile the orphan files into your databases.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I have done as you sugesst but still have 2 orphaned files, apparently, and the repair failed! But in the Orphaned File smart folder there are no files. Hmmph…

Have you looked at Window > Log after you do a V&R – at times more detail for the errors is listed there.

What is “thingy”?

No idea! I meant Cocktail—how the heck “thingy” got in is a mystery.

Well this is weird, I am tyoing obe thing and another is showing on the thread! Try agin but in capitaks COCKTAIL, lower case cocktail.

Right what is happening, apart from my appaling spelling :blush: In the other thread I mentioned earlier, (Duplicate files not showing as duplicates) Bill recommended a couple of maintenance applications and I downloaded and run the first one, it is the name of this that I am typing and that is coming out as thingy, try again Cocktail

Trying different versions of the word that is coming out wrong!!!

cocktail
COCKTAIL
CocktailL
Cocktail
Cocktail
COCKtail
cockTAIL

Well this is rather funny in a way! Anyone like to try it and see if it does the same?

By the way I am using DEVONagent Pro as my browser.

I see from Bill’s posting what thingy is. Not a browser issue - the forum’s acceptable-words filter does not like words formed from this set of characters {c,k,o}. What you’re trying to post is C0cktail – a very useful app, by the way. Changing the set to {c,k,0} is the trick for getting your message past the nanny.

Tanks Korm, that explains that then. I shall always from now on refer to my pre-dinner drink as a “Thingie” :laughing:

After that short diversion back to my original problem! Anu ideas on this one?

So, does the Log report more info when V&R fails?

This is a screen shot of the Log.

Does V&R create a group (not a smart group, a group) inside your “Genealogy Family File” databased, named “orphaned…”, that contains these files?

Yes, but greyed out.

Orphaned.jpg

Close the database. Close DEVONthink. Navigate to the database in Finder. Control-click the database package file and choose “Show Package Contents”. You’ll see something that looks like this:

Look in the folder named “Orphans”. Is there anything there?

Yes. What next? Grateful for help.