REQ: Recognizable URLs

Can you please add an option to make URLs in plain text and Markdown text files clickable to open up in Safari?

MD files in Safari will not have the formatting, they will look like plain text files, unless they are converted to html in the background. I would recommend to either use DT to show MD files or then use a dedicated MD editor such as Typora and bind the .md file format to this app for opening up the file outside DT.

I would recommend to either use DT to show MD files or then use a dedicated MD editor such as Typora and bind the .md file format to this app for opening up the file outside DT.

I’m curious why you’re suggesting this.

• Plain text is just plain text. It is not active.
  • Markdown can have live URLs. What browser depends on your default browser set in the operating system.

Here are two URL forms in Markdown (though I suggest using the second form, as it’s vanilla Markdown):

<https://www.devontechnologies.com>  
[DEVONtech](https://www.devontechnologies.com)

These produce active links in the Preview mode of a Markdown document.

@ksandvik and @BLUEFROG I think that you got my question wrong.

Observe the difference between Bear and DEVONthink note. The link in Bear is recognize and I can click it.

You aren’t comparing apples to apples here.
Bear.app is not showing a plain text version of the Markdown, as evidenced by the control characters accompanying the rendered text. Their view is essentially the same as DEVONthink’s View > Document Display > Preview but they’ve coded in showing the control characters too.

Your second screencap is merely showing the Markdown file in Source (editing) view.

What is the best way to keep a list of links that are clickable?

Markdown is fine, but you’d obviously need to use Preview mode to interact with them.
You can also use rich text files, as they support active hyperlinks.

In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Editing you can enable Smart Links and the links should be detected after typing them and pressing Return.

File%20Types%20%E2%80%94%20%22New%20Rich%20Text%201%22%202019-05-14%2019-56-30

1 Like