Request: PDF Selection screen capture.

JING is a great tool for capturing bits of your screen and posting them as PNG. It builds on the Command -Shift-4 screen capture of Apple.

It would be great if DTPO could have a similar function of capturing user selection of the screen, and converting that to searchable PDF.

I understand I can export the web page or such to Print/PDF, but often times, I just need a section of a document or screen, and not the whole thing.

Thanks
Peter

Taking an image of a portion of a screen, then converting it to searchable PDF would not be the most efficient way to work. Screens are typically 72 dpi displays, which means that OCR accuracy is poor unless pre-processing is done to “juice up” the image resolution, then apply OCR.

Here are two more efficient capture modes already built into DEVONthink. The resulting documents will be better quality and have smaller file sizes than a PDF produced as above, and are searchable. If desired, of course, they can be converted to PDF.

1. Select an area of text/images in a Cocoa browser, press Command-) and capture as a rich text note. The text and images will be captured, although their layout may differ from the layout on the Web page.

2. Select an area of text/images in a Cocoa browser, press Command-% and capture as a WebArchive. The text and images will be captured and will retain the layout of the Web page. The file size will be somewhat larger than capture as a rich text note.