Request "rectangular selection" feature for PDF reading

When reading PDFs, there’s always a lot of blank space surrounding the main text, which makes the font appear too small. And requiring us to zoom in using a two-finger gesture. It’s quite cumbersome to do this on every page.

It would be beneficial to have a ‘rectangular selection’ feature, allowing us to choose a specific area to display on any page. Then, all pages would only display the content within this selected region. This would effectively eliminate the superfluous blank space, enhance page utilization, and automatically increase the text size for a more comfortable reading experience. Thank you

Basically, this would be like a default zoom factor and offset?

In Android and some eInk readers like Boox, there exists an auto-crop functionality that “cuts” all the blank around the PDF, with an effective zoom of 100% only text. The quality of that zoom varies between completely unusable and very usable. As summary of features, you can find auto-crop at each page level, same manual crop ("the rectangle of @jowett) for all pages or for odd and even separately, and a last one that is going with same zoom level when changing page in one page mode. I think the old GoodReader app in iOS has some of those features, and I thought about asking you about those, but there is an easy workaround in DTTG: set in continuous mode, make a manual zoom, and scroll. Potential issues happen when the margins are different in even and odd pages.

OK, I see how that is supposed to work. Currently, our PDF framework doesn’t support this out of the box but, of course, it could, theoretically, be done. Noted but good that continuous scrolling is a good alternative.

The problem with the zoom-and-scroll workaround is that in facing-page view (which is how I prefer to read) you’re still left with the inner margins. In the GoodReader implementation you set a cropbox manually, and there’s an option to set different ones for even & odd pages, which really comes into its own in double-page view. The Boox version is automatic, which can have the slightly disconcerting consequence of auto-zooming facing pages to different sizes, as well as sometimes clipping margins too tight, though it’s smart enough to be able to detect and crop out page numbers. I slightly prefer the GoodReader way, but both have their merits.