Was there an update on that issue so far? In the latest DT version (will post the version afterwards), the problem is till there (or returned): slowed down/laggy Markdown rendering and editing with activated live preview in junction with a bunch of links within the currently displayed text part. I.e., it doesn’t matter wether it’s a link in a footnote, Markdown link („[text](link)“) or Alias link (auto-detected/highlighted by DT) - any (visible) cluster of detected and bluish highlighted links causes the lag. Also, the text length has no effect: you can scroll and edit smoothly within a very long text, until you reach a text part with some (more) links. My so far workarounds are:
Convert all Markdown links to Markdown reference links („[text](link)“ —> „[text] …. [text]: link“) and put the references to the bottom of the document. This helps so far unless you scroll down to the bottom
or: shortly switch from edit to preview mode and then back to edit mode. This actually helps unless you scroll to another text part with some (more) links.
Please let me know if I can help with further information.
I reseted the plain text font to default (using the Option modifier key) and this had no effect. I also switched back and forth (from default (Menlo) to Helvetica to default), without an effect regarding the lagging-issue.
I turned the Wikilinks on and off as well as the WYSIWYG editing mode – also with no effect.
I forgot to mention (as I rarely do it): If I open the inspector or resize the window, which of course leads to a new text wrapping, the Markdown window (in edit mode) lags or gets even frozen – for a time depending on the amount of links and length of the text. If I repeat the same steps in preview mode, everything works fine.
I’m using Devonthink 3.8.2 on macOS Big Sur (M1 chip, MacBook Pro 2020).
Meanwhile I did some more tests. I now think that turning off the WYSIWYG editing mode indeed has an effect: All lagging vanishes while this mode is turned off (regardless whether the plain text font is set to the default font or sth else). Furthermore, the more formatting markup commands the Markdown text contains ("#, ##, …", “**bold**”, "*italics*, "_italics_, “==highlighting==”, “[link text](link)”, …), the slower the rendering (in edit mode) becomes. It seems, that the lagging issue does not only concern links, but any Markdown formatting (or their amount) while WYSIWYG is turned on.
Sorry for my delayed reply. I’m using Devonthink 3.8.2 on macOS Big Sur 11.4, M1 chip, MacBook Pro 2020.
In the meantime, I’ve created a screencast with a Wikipedia entry (Blackbirding – Wikipedia) as an example (I copied the entry w/o the images, but preserving all formatting and links):
It shows the lag in editing mode while reaching a text part with many formatting (here: the links) or the uppermost heading, while in preview mode everything runs smoothly as well as in editing mode with deactivated WYSIWYG. As mentioned above, changing the plain text font to its default does not affect the lagging. I tried to turn off all extensions (MathJAX, Mermaid, Prism), also without an effect.