Restore from sync location

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately, I made a severe mistake and did not backup my .dtbase2 file before making a clean install of my mac because I thought that the sync locations in iCloud and Dropbox are sufficient. At the moment however, it seems like this was a terrible mistake. Is there any way to restore my Devonthink database from iCloud or Dropbox Sync Locations? I checked Dropbox and it seems like there are all the files however in encrypted format. However, I do not understand how I can restore from these sync locations.

Best
Andy

Welcome @andy

Unfortunately, I made a severe mistake and did not backup my .dtbase2 file before making a clean install of my mac because I thought that the sync locations in iCloud and Dropbox are sufficient

I’m glad you have learned sync isn’t a proper primary backup, even if it can afford a small measure of that functionality at times.

Set up the Dropbox sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Syncand you must enter the encryption key you were using. If you don’t use it you will get an invalid encryption key error until it’s resolved. If you don’t know the encryption key, you are going to be in a bad spot since we can’t tell you what it is.

If you get the location connected, you will see importable databases in the Remote section of the databases list. Double-click one to import it and save it to the Databases folder in your Home directory. Repeat as needed.