restricted password access databases - Witch you have access

is there a way to integrate resources such as proquest, jstor, muse and other acedemic article databases into the searches? these all require a password going through the universities (umich in my case) library proxy server when outside the local university network.

These should work fine with devon think & agent. What you need to do is find out how to set up your account to work through a proxy server to the university, and then set these settings in your network control panel on the proxy tab. try logging on to the university library system and do a search on remote library set up via proxy server. They work great with devonthink.

-erico

Ok i will try that, but more simply how do you get devonagent to search mirlyn (umich library catalog): mirlyn.lib.umich.edu/F/?func=fil … ame=find-b

is it as simple as adding it to the websites list?

if you want it to search the umich library system for books you would need to build a plug in for devonagent. This is not hard, but it is not automatic by any means. look on this site or in the manual for instructions on how plug-ins are built. It probably will only take you fifteen minutes…

best,

Eric

this is exactly what I want to do, but I’m not sure I understand.
Below is the URL for accesing JSTOR off-campus:
ulib.iupui.edu/cgi-bin/proxy … stjournal/

This asks for a password after clicking on a link, and then I’m into JSTOR.

Can DA do all this for me?

You are on the right track. That is a piece of the information you need. But certainly there is a website at michigan—or are you actually at IUPUI?—that describes how to set up remote proxy access. (I can’t access the one you quote, because it is behind the university’s proxy system.) You should search for this at your institution, or ask an IT/Library person. You want to tell them you need “off campus proxy access” and they should be able to give you instructions for how to configure this in mac os x. (It could be, I guess, that you use a VPN instead, but I doubt it.). Either way, the configuration has nothing really to do with devonthink, but with http protocol in general. You should bug people on campus to help you.

But just guessing, try putting this:
ulib.iupui.edu/cgi-bin/proxy.pl

into the http proxy entry of the proxy tab of your network preference pane. that might work. It will tell your system to send all http requests to the proxy server, however, so you might need to remove it when you are done doing your network access thing.

The other thing you could do is just stick the
ulib.iupui.edu/cgi-bin/proxy.pl?
in front of the urls you want to visit. That might also work too.

best,
erico

Hi all,

I’m in the same situation with the UK based Athens. This is password restricted although off campus access is allowed but with restrictions.

I have VPN access to he University, although I don’t think this is true VPN as it is browser based rather than treating me as a network node. That said I do get an assigned IP.

How do I go about searching Athens? If I open the DA browser and go to athens.ac.uk/ I get the login screen and I can login as normal. How do I use the DA search, and all that brings with it when the site has its own search facility?

Actually this is one place where “Webstractor” softchaos.com has a slight edgealthough you don’t get the other DA/DT advantages.

Tacitus

Sorry to be bringing up old topics, but…

Could Erico or anyone else please give a brief description of how they use the scanners or search sets of DA to access JSTOR and other such academic databases regularly, and then pull the info into DT?

I’m in the UK, and have a VPN up and running, so I would assume I don’t have the trouble of having to type in access info (since when I just go to JSTOR in my browser, I never have to).

Thanks in advance.

I made a plugin for JSTOR that seems to work for simple searches as long as you have access to JSTOR (direct, through proxy or VPN). You can copy from the dump below.

For searches in Humanities databases, I use a search set including only this JSTOR plugin and Devon’s own plugin for Google Scholar, which also searches on Project Muse.

I would be curious to see what other people have come up with for their research – or if someone has a better JSTOR plugin. This seems a good forum to exchange ideas and solutions.

Roberto

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Description Searches for scholarly literature using JSTOR. JSTOR indexes scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources. EncodingUrl UTF-8 EngineUrl http://www.jstor.org/search/BasicSearch?Query=_agentQuery_&si=1&hp=25&Search=Search Identifier com.dainotto.jstor.plugin Info by Roberto Dainotto LinksEnd <!--z--> LinksNotMatching *q=cache:* *google.com www.google.com *scholar.google.com/scholar* *q=link:* LinksStart <!--a--> Name JSTOR OffsetPerPage 100 ParseLinks ResultsPerPage 25 Start 0 Version 1.0 [/quote]

Hi everyone-

JSTOR seems to have changed its URLs a bit. I modified Roberto’s code a bit to reflect that, and it works nicely. Thanks Roberto!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Description Searches for scholarly literature using JSTOR. JSTOR indexes scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources. EncodingUrl UTF-8 EngineUrl http://www.jstor.org/action/doBasicSearch?Query=_agentQuery_&si=1&hp=25&Search=Search Identifier com.dainotto.jstor.plugin Info by Roberto Dainotto LinksEnd <!--z--> LinksNotMatching *q=cache:* *google.com www.google.com *scholar.google.com/scholar* *q=link:* LinksStart <!--a--> Name JSTOR OffsetPerPage 100 ParseLinks ResultsPerPage 25 Start 0 Version 1.0

Hi everybody,
as a absolute beginner w/ no experience in writting codes … I need some advice.
I want to use a password restricted db - so easy so far. After I loged in sucessfully I#m required to select the db from a drop down menu - what makes it a bit more complicated.
After having done that I can enter my search and will get links to the results w/ title and short description

How can I handle that w/ DA & w/out enroll for a 4 year Masterprogramm at MIT? Of course you have allready noticed that I’m not an english native speaker - so I’d be grateful, if someone could help me out

regards
HRNewton

Thanks to Roberto and Matt for the JSTOR plug-in. It will come in handy since a number of the journals I use are only available electronically through it.