Revisiting the prohibition on using Dropbox for backing up

?
Do you mean a SanDisk flash drive like the bottom one I showed?

Here is my amended statement…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of these…

Ooooo… nice!
Don’t get me started. I already have a bit of an external hard drive fetish :roll_eyes:

What model is that?

Ha ha! welcome to the club

1 Like

T2 or T3, one of these… I keep losing track of the T’s

/wanders off to Best Buy
:stuck_out_tongue:

There’s gotta be some good Txgiving deals!!

:+1:

I can’t recommend this one highly enough: VectoTech Rapid 1TB External SSD USB-C. I am using this one and a SAMSUMG T5 which is also great (but not as fast as the VectoTech, I think).

Jim @BLUEFROG, do you happen to know the answer to this?

Nope - That’s not possible. The sync interval is global for all sync locations and methods.

1 Like

Stephen, now that you’ve been drifting…

I used Dropbox a long time ago, but colleagues (IT people) actually discouraged me from relying on it too much, for data integrity + security reasons.
My regime is:

• backup drives that contain data (DT3 databases, images, Lightroom catalogs, files and folders) to a service like Backblaze, which has been very good to me for the last 4-5 years (including saving my ass a couple of times when everything went bad at the same time)
  • backup locally to hard drives, 4 copies: 2 are internal spinning disks, backed up daily; one is a slow spinning disk backed up weekly and stored off-site, and one is the Samsung T2/3 I added a pic, also backed up daily; the Samasung I also take when I’m travelling.
  • My TimeMachine backup does not include any data, just MacOS and apps.
  • I always look at these copies as a kind of a Hail Mary thing, really. I avoid adding running/updating them in isolation.
  • I also keep a sync on my iPhone - but for some databases, not all
  • Finally, I have copies on iCloud, which I am not syncing, these were merely added there, and I replace them periodically. Again, Hail Mary kind of situation.
  • about 90 Gb, 20 or so databases.

VectoTech - hm, tons of stars in the AMZ reviews :slight_smile:

• Finally, I have copies on iCloud, which I am not syncing, these were merely added there, and I replace them periodically. Again, Hail Mary kind of situation.

Clarify this please.

Ah sure. Copies of databases just added to my iCloud drive, not synced.

And just because I do have the space :slight_smile

Copies of databases just added to my iCloud drive, not synced.

Not synced… by what?

Oh, not syncing to DTTG via iCloud

The only sync I perform is Bonjour / Lightning Cable. I used to do WebDav, using WebDavNav,but that stopped being reliable (for me)

You know it’s still not data-safe to put those native databases in iCloud - or any cloud-synced folder. If you’re going to do that, use File > Export > Database Archive or Script > Export > Daily Backup Archive and store the ZIP files.

I used to do WebDav, using WebDavNav,but that stopped being reliable (for me)

Interesting. I was just thinking about that app as we talked last week.