Scanner question

I’m fed up with my Epson 2400. I’d like to buy a new Fujitsu scanner.

I see the ScanSnap S500M is getting rave reviews. It’s hard to find though for some reason. The ScanSnap fi-5110EOXM is easier to find, and about $100 cheaper.

Does anyone know how these two scanners compare? Why is the ScanSnap fi-5110EOXM $100 less (just an older model? Lacks features that the S500M has?).

Does anyone have experience with the ScanSnap fi-5110EOXM and DTPO?

Is the version of the OCR software that comes with Fujitsu scanners (I forget the nname – IRIS?) the same as what comes with DTPO?

Thanks!

I’ve got the ScanSnap fi-5110EOXM. Works great with DTPO. The newer model is very slightly faster and I think that’s about it.

My ScanSnap came with Acrobat 7 Standard for OCR. I already had Acrobat 7 Pro anyway. But I find the IRIS engine in DTPO faster and more accurate than Acrobat. However, Acrobat is handy for splitting long PDFs and reassembling them.

I think the first sentence explains the second :slight_smile:

I have both of them. I bought the 5110EOXM and then found myself carrying it back and forth between home and work, so when the new one came out I bought one of them too.

Yes, the 5110EOXM is an older model. Mostly they are the same (*) but the new one works better at scanning unusual sized documents. The 5110EOXM would often only give me a partial scan.

Note that they are still selling it with Acrobat 7 Std, not 8. 7 is PPC only. However you can upgrade for like $150.

If price is most important and you’ll be mostly using regular 8.5x11 paper, go for the cheaper version.

As far as the speed, I can’t really tell much of a difference. The biggest variable will be the quality of the speed scan.

You can see my critique of the software at

http://tj.tntluoma.com/mac/scansnap

They are both good scanners. One of them is a little better than the other. $100 worth of better?

(*) there are some minor improvements to the casing. The older model has a separate tray that is used to catch pages after they are scanned which the scanner sat on. The newer one has that part built-in. It’s hard to explain, but the new one is better, but if you don’t move it around much, it won’t matter.