ScanSnap SetUp

I reviewed the tutorial several times prior to setting up ScanSnap. At the outset Devonthink pro office was not recognized. So I added everything manually.

The question I have is that I have the scans going to the Global inbox. No problem there. But they are also going to my document folder in my finder. One of the settings in ScanSnap Manager asks for the “image saving folder”. Mine currently is set at my document folder. I’m not seeing how to change this somehow to eliminate two copies of my scanned document, one in the global inbox, and the other in my document folder.

Is there any other way to set up that I could import just to my global inbox? Otherwise I’ll have to consistently delete the document from the document folder.

Thanks for any help. BTW, I’m new with both ScanSnap and Devinthink Pro Office.

In DEVONthink Pro Office Preferences > OCR, check the option to send the original image file to the Trash after character recognition.

Thanks for your reply Bill. I did as you suggested, checked the box for moving the original document to trash. Surprisingly, that does not work. Still have one document going to “documents” in the finder, and another going to the global inbox.

BTW, I opened 2 databases, one personal and one business. I notice that both show up in the documents folder. So I’m assuming that when I drag documents from the global inbox to their respective databases, I’ll end up with yet another document?

Appreciate any help.

1. If you have set DEVONthink Pro Office Preferences > OCR with the option checked to move the original scanner output file to the Trash, but that doesn’t happen, this is flaky behavior, resulting from a ‘stuck’ cache or a memory error.

To correct that, with the DEVONthink application frontmost, click on the application name in the menubar, then choose the Empty Cache option. Next, restart the computer. Any new scanner output files sent to DEVONthink Pro Office for OCR should result in a new searchable PDF in a database, and the scanner output file should now appear in the System Trash.

1. Moving a document from the Global Inbox to another open database will not create duplicates. A convenient way to do that is to use Tools > Show Groups & Tags. That panel will allow you to drag a document to any group in any open database.
  1. If you have set DEVONthink Pro Office Preferences > OCR with the option checked to move the original scanner output file to the Trash, but that doesn’t happen, this is flaky behavior, resulting from a ‘stuck’ cache or a memory error.

To correct that, with the DEVONthink application frontmost, click on the application name in the menubar, then choose the Empty Cache option. Next, restart the computer. Any new scanner output files sent to DEVONthink Pro Office for OCR should result in a new searchable PDF in a database, and the scanner output file should now appear in the System Trash.

1. Moving a document from the Global Inbox to another open database will not create duplicates. A convenient way to do that is to use Tools > Show Groups & Tags. That panel will allow you to drag a document to any group in any open database.