"Scrambled" PDF Annotations

Hi all

I have encountered a strange issue recently on some PDFs created using the DEVONthink clipper. These are either clipped from Safari or PDFs converted from an RSS feed within DEVONthink.

The PDFs look normal, but when I highlight some words, they appear scrambled in the Annotation pane.

As a workaround, I can convert these PDFs to PDFs but just curious why this is happening?

I’ve seen this, too.

I think it could be related to the Apple PDFkit font issue that’s been commented on in other threads.

Re-doing OCR seemed to fix it for me.

@stephenjw Thanks for validating.

I wasn’t sure if it was a related or separate issue from the “locked/corrupted” PDF issue as per this thread.

Strange that it’s still around 2 years later…

I know - it’s annoying.

I was getting quite a few corrupted pdfs, sometimes entirely black pages as well as corrupted fonts but running OCR through DT seems to have fixed the problem. :crossed_fingers:

On the highlighting being greyed out in some PDFs, do you Convert to PDF (Paginated)? I’m doing it via a smart rule on every PDF coming into my inbox and it seems to do the trick for me.

You know the pagination thing is interesting.

I haven’t printed anything for years, however I am still conditioned to “think” in pages. And the Mac print to PDF service created paginated PDFs.

It wasn’t until I started using DEVONthink that I asked myself, why do I need pagination? So for the last few months I have been creating one-page PDFs. Yes you have to zoom in on some devices, but it’s better for me. Sometimes creating paginated PDFs cuts off text at the wrong spots.

2 Likes

That is far too revolutionary a concept for me.

Once you start down that road, where will it end? :flushed:

2 Likes