Search is incomplete?

Search isn’t working for me. Example: I put an email into a database. I search for the title (subject line) and it comes up. But if I search for a word or phrase in the email content, I get nothing.

Please, am I missing something?

(This is a problem for me in DT Pro 2 also)

Which edition do you use? Only the Pro/Server editions of DEVONthink 3 (and DEVONthink Pro Office 2) index the contents/metadata of emails.

Welcome @jgoshawk
DEVONthink 2 Pro doesn’t index the contents of emails either.

PS: You should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Thanks, that helps. At the moment, I’ve got the trial version of DT3, having used DT2 Pro for years. I guess this is a reason to buy DT3 Pro rather than Standard.

But… shouldn’t my trial version be full-featured until I decide which version to pay for? That is, shouldn’t the trial version behave as if it’s the Pro edition?

Ohh. Are there worries about corruption or confusion?

I’m testing the DT3 trial version. Don’t want to abandon DT2 just yet. Maybe I can isolate my old DT2 on an external drive?

I figure to make the switch to DT3 this week.

The operating system can get confused about what version is what since they both sue the same bundle ID (for compatibility reasons).

You can compress the Pro Office application and delete the app, then reboot. That should be fine.

And yes, the trial version has all the features of the highest edition.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I deleted and rebooted. Launched DT3. Added a few more emails to two databases, but it still doesn’t find email content. Otherwise, the search function seems to work as I expect it to.

DT To Go, I notice, searches email content no problem.

Hmm…

Try creating a brand new database and importing a handful of emails into it. Then search it and see what it does.

Also, if you’re backups are current (as a general admonition), you could try a File > Rebuild Database to see if that resolves the issue.

Bingo! Rebuilding worked. You have saved my afternoon.

Glad to hear it :slight_smile: