Search query on file path / folder name

I’m sorry if I’m missing something simple, but is there an option for including (or excluding) an element of the file path (like a folder name), when searching?

I see and have tried using the “name” and “metadata” fields, but that doesn’t seem to function like a “file path” field would.

For example, I’d like to search for files with the word “transcript” in the filename, but to exclude any file that has, say, “Hollis” in any folder name in the file path. I don’t see any way to do that.

If this can’t be done, then consider this a feature request. It seems like a pretty basic feature, and one that exists (I think) in the Copernic and X1 search apps. Which is why I suspect I’m just missing something.

Thanks for any tips.

(I’m running Devonthink Pro, 2.7.5 on Mac OS 10.8.5.)

There is no file path search.

1 Like

It seems like the dropdown menu for Search (and for creating Smart Groups) doesn’t have the option to filter by path or location. However, it is possible to sort the results by path or location.

In this case, I’m trying to check to see if any of the items indexed in my database are stored in the trash. (I may have unintentionally moved something to the trash and I want to double-check before I empty my system trash.)

I’m not sure the best way to go about this…

You can sort the results by location (as it’s not the path you’re wondering about)

@cgrunenberg : Perhaps when sorting by location, the Trash could always be sorted at the top or bottom (ascending or descending) instead of alphabetically.

1 Like

Actually the search doesn’t return items only located in the trash. But selecting the trash in the sidebar and enabling the Info filter to show only indexed items should be useful.