Search returns only Mobile Sync replicants

Greetings. I’ve poked around the boards and found only parts of my issue(s) addressed, so I will post anew here. If I have missed the relevant info, please point me in the right direction.

I understand from other forum posts there are (or were, with previous versions of DT/DTP/DTPO) some complications with replicating folders to the Mobile Sync folder for syncing to DTTG. It seems relatively clear that replicating a folder from a Database to the Mobile Sync folder replicates the folder and all contents, though the files/folders within that replicated parent folder are not themselves replicants, but they are indeed replicated – if you change something inside a replicated folder (add a file, change a file, etc), those changes will be reflected in all replicants of that parent folder. That’s great.

My problem involves the use of the global “Search” function. (I have four databases and large amounts of data spread across them, with some overlap (unfortunately)). When I search for a phrase, e.g. the name of a folder that is nested inside a folder in the Database and is replicated to Mobile Sync, the results list only Mobile Sync replicants. I would ideally like Search to return results only of files outside of Mobile Sync. If it must return Mobile Sync results, I would hope it could do so in addition to returning non-Mobile Sync results.

How can I configure my folders / replicants (in Mobile Sync and/or elsewhere?) so I get the non-Mobile-Sync replicant of the folder to show up in Search query? When I search for a file inside a Mobile-Synced folder, the only search result I get is the file inside the Mobile-Synced folder, and not the parent file that was replicated to Mobile Sync. Since the file has no record of being replicated (because it is not, only it’s parent folder is), I have to go digging to find the original file. There must be a better way. What am I missing?

Thanks for your thoughts! ~ Jeremy

When Search returns replicants, it returns the instance of the replicant that was created first in the database, but not other instances. In other words, if I create a document inside “My Group” and then replicate that document to the Mobile Sync group, Search will show just the instance in “My Group”. In the scenario you describe, Jeremy, the reverse is happening because something is telling Search that the instance in Mobile Sync is the one that was created first. (I reproduced this in the way Jeremy describes in his post, below.)

I don’t think there is yet a way around this. As you know, Search doesn’t have any explicit “Exclude” parameters. You’re right in suggesting that Mobile Sync should be optionally excludable.

Thanks, Korm. I’ve tested this in my database and it is working as you say. When I delete the Mobile Sync replicant and re-replicate a file to Mobile Sync, the parent (non-Mobile-Sync) file comes up in Search results and the Mobile Sync replicant does not. I will be interested in a fix to Search that excludes Mobile Sync replicants. Thanks, Jeremy

Hi again Korm, I am getting scared to empty my trash for fear I have mis-understood Replicant behavior. If I throw away a replicant or a replicated folder, other replicants or replicated folders are NOT affected, correct? And when I empty the trash, those other replicants that are not in the trash will continue to be unaffected, correct? I’ve re-read 2008/2009 posts about trashing replicants, and I’ve gotten myself unsure of things now… all this just gets me a bit paranoid. Thanks! ~Jeremy

Correct, however the most important thing to remember is that the contents of a replicated group are not the replicants. Replicated documents and replicated groups are mirror images of the original, replicated item. In other words…

1. If you replicate a document, then deleting one occurrence of that replicated document does not affect the other occurrence(s) of that replicated document.

2. If you replicate a document, then deleting say a paragraph of text from any occurrence of a replicated document will be reflected in all other occurrence(s) of that replicated document.

3. If you replicate a group, then deleting one occurrence of that replicated group does not affect the other occurrence(s) of that replicated group.

4. If you replicate a group, then deleting a document from any occurrence of a replicated group will be reflected in all other occurrence(s) of that replicated group.

Thanks, Greg, this is exactly what I needed, beautifully succinct. I proceed now with confidence! ~Jeremy