Searching in DEVONSphere, but opening file in DEVONthink

Hi, I’m wondering if there is a way to show the file in DEVONthink when searching for a particular file? I’m not wanting to open the file, but merely to show it, i.e. “Reveal in Finder” keyboard short (cmd+enter) when searching for a document in Spotlight opens the Finder to the location of the file. Could this be done when searching with DEVONsphere? Thanks!!

Selecting an item and pressing Command-R will refeal it in the Finder.

Is there a way to reveal it in DT?

I have the same problem. I want to use DEVONsphere to show me related files in my DEVONthink 3 database, but when it does find something (for example, a webarchive), and I double click, it opens it in Safari instead of DEVONthink. I want it to open in DEVONthink so that when I’m working on a project, I can use DEVONsphere to find related files, and move them into a group for the project I’m working on in DEVONthink. Although this is possible by pressing CMD-R, and then moving the file manually in Finder, it is not nearly as convenient as moving files between groups within DEVONthink itself.

1 Like

Were the files imported to a database or are these indexed files?

They are imported to a DEVONthink database. For example, I have a file called “The Ethical Challenges of Connecting Our Brains to Computers - Scientific American.html” in my “Edward” database, in the group “Edward > 3 - Resources > Philosophy”. When I’m editing a Markdown file in iA Writer about technological progress, and I open DEVONsphere in the menu bar, that file would pop up, and the location of that file (“Edward > 3 - Resources > Philosophy”) shows up below the result title as well. DEVONsphere even has a section header that says explicitly “DEVONTHINK”.

This is why DEVONsphere is so useful for me cause I completely forgot that I had that file and DEVONsphere was able to surface it for me for the paper I’m writing for class, which is awesome! So it seems like it knows that the result is from DT3, but when I double-click the result, it’s just not opening in DT3, but Safari instead. It would be nice to have an option in preferences to set the default behavior of opening DEVONTHINK results. I want it to open in DT3 so that I could move files related to my paper to a specific group in my database.

2 Likes

The next release will fix this.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Hi, I’m wondering how to enable this function? I double click the searched item in DEVONsphere but it just opens the file instead of revealing the location within DT3.

Post a screen capture of the search.

I’m not seeing any issue here.

• What version of DEVONsphere are you running?
  • Is it from the App Store or our site?

I’m currently using 1.9.7 downloaded directly from DT website.
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 21.18.25

Hi, I’m just checking back for a status update. Thanks for the consideration!

Why am I not receiving any support for this issue? 3 years old and I’m wondering why I am being ignored?

Open a support ticket. Thanks.