"Select Backup" popup while using DEVONthink

When I use DEVONthink on my MacBook, I’ve been pretty consistently, once a day, getting this type of popup:

It usually happens in the morning, but not right away. When it happens, I can’t type in the note I’ve been entering in DEVONthink (it only lets me click in the above window). I select the most recent database, click “Open”, and the note I’m typing in reverts to an earlier version, with my latest words disappearing from that note (I presume it reverst to the version as it existed at the date and time in the popup).

I can find the note I was working on in DEVONthink, with “copy” appended to the end, so it’s not the end of the world, but I’d love to figure out what is causing this, and how I can prevent it.

This is a native database (I scrapped indexed databases after too much babysitting), with the sync store syncing via Dropbox. I do have DEVONthink running on one other Mac, which is always on to perform various automation tasks (one reason I did away with indexed databases was because they didn’t play nice with the always-on Mac). Could the always-on Mac be the cause of this?

Are you saying this spontaneously appearing?
It wouldn’t happen normally unless you press Option-Shift-Command-K.

Yes, it is spontaneously appearing. I’m not intentionally hitting those keys. I’ll have to check to see if I have those mapped on my Stream Deck or elsewhere, such that I’m inadvertently triggering it.

I would see if the behavior persists after rebooting the Mac, especially if it’s the always-on Mac

And why aren’t you periodicially rebooting that Mac?

I reboot every week or two, but not on a set schedule. I first noticed this prior to my last reboot, and after my last reboot (I rebooted on Sunday, and this happened both last week and yesterday, Monday). The behavior happens on the MacBook. I’ve never seen it on the always-on Mac Studio. I did find a Keyboard Maestro macro that triggers via the Option-Shift-Command-K keystroke, but it’s not a macro I use any longer, so I don’t think that’s the cause of this. (I just deleted the keystroke as a trigger for it to be safe).

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. We’ll see if there’s anything in the logs. Thanks!

1 Like