Selecting clips from Word docs and PDF files

Sorry for posting such a basic question, but I’ve been trying to figure this out for hours and can’t seem to get it. I’ve watched tutorials, scoured the help files and have tried trial and error till I’m blue in the face. No luck.

It seems like this would be a simple thing to do, so I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Here’s what I’m trying to do:

I want to import some Word docs and PDF files into DEVONThink Pro Office and I then want to select clips from these files and put them into various subgroups.

This I can do by simply opening up an external editor, selecting the desired text and dragging it into my target subgroup. So far, so good.

The problem is, when I view my selected clips in my subgroups, I can’t tell which document I pulled them from.

When I do something similar using text selected from a web page I have archived into DT, and then drag the selected text into another group, I can always tell where I pulled the clip from (i.e. DT shows me the URL of the original page).

But when I pull clips from Word docs and PDF files, I don’t seem to have any way to tie the information back to its original source document.

Again, it seems like this would be a simple thing to do, but I’m stumped. Is there a way to do this or am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Blair

That’s because there’s a standard bit of metadata from the web with this mechanism. Not so with clipboard functions on Word files.

I do understand what you’re saying though. Have you looked at the Annotations?

Take a look at the solutions offered in this thread.

The Quote, Highlight & Annotate script there that @gts developed is one of the classics of DEVONthink annotation tools, IMO.

(BTW, clipping from Word previews is iffy – due to limitations of Microsoft’s previews.)

It sounds like the Quote, Highlight & Annotate script is going to work for me. But I’ll also look into Annotations just in case.

Thanks korm and BLUEFROG for the help!