Send Mail from Smart Rule - 2 Questions

The default application for .eml doesn’t matter, only the default application for mailto: URLs.

The action only supports links currently but an embedded script could send attachments.

How do I set the default app for mailto: ?

I will give a script a try

Thank you

Usually via the preferences of Apple Mail.

There is only one setting there I know of - “Default Email Reader”

I set it to Airmail, but DT3 is not acknowledging it

Which application is launched on your Mac after clicking a mailto: URL, e.g. in a TextEdit document?

Even though I hate Chrome, open it and type mailto: in the address bar. What app opens?

Airmail opens when I do that

Yet DT3 sends via Mac Mail

I have confirmed the behavior here.

• mailto: opens Airmail, set to the default email app for testing.
  • Data > Send by Email creates the email in Airmail.
  • The smart rule > Send Email creates the email in Apple Mail.
    Monosnap%202019-10-30%2012-57-30

Also, I have ensured DEVONthink has Automation permissions to control Airmail.

Thanks

I believe Alerts do the same thing.

I’m testing that now.

The next release will fix this.

1 Like

Many thanks

Any way to get X-links working on the web server?

Where exactly are these links used?

Let’s suppose I have a staff member who accesses DT3 through the webserver and not directly on a Mac. And let’s suppose I want that staff member to review a particular document in the database.

In that situation, I would want to be able to email the x-link to the staff member and have it open the webserver to the corresponding document.

Or alternatively I would like to be able to set an alert for a staff member which emails an x-link; it would be helpful if that x-link can then be used via web server to bring up the document referenced by the alert.

Cross-links are tied to the desktop application, this would require completely different links.

Why would they need to be different links since the web server is running on the same Mac that resolves the “desktop” x-links? In fact it’s the same application running both the web server and desktop user interface simultaneously. So surely the web server should be able to interpret the x-link; it is in its database.

If what you mean is that the x-link automatically opens the Desktop app, yes I understand that. In that case could there be an input box on the webserver to paste an x-link to be displayed?

Or is it possible to create not a new set of links but rather a URL which calls the webserver and the x-link becomes a parameter to that URL?

If there’s no DEVONthink or no Mac at all, then the cross-links are actually useless and not clickable.

Yes that is the problem.

But would it not be possible to either:

(a) Have an area in the webserver UI to paste an x-link so the webserver then displays that document; or

(b) Allow for a URL which calls the webserver, with the x-link passed as a URL parameter. Then have the webserver display the corresponding document

No such plans yet but noted.

1 Like

See script here