Separate colouring options for duplicates and replicants

My perspective is from these two positions:

Duplicates are often unintentional, and I want them highlighted in some way.

Replicants are often intentional, and I don’t want them highlighted in any way.

As it stands, I have to have my replicants drawing visual attention if I also want my duplicates to draw attention. I get that itty-bitty icon can tell me which is which but on today’s screens and with my over-50 eyesight, that icon isn’t enough to alert me to the serious issue of having a duplicate file.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, I read through quite a few dupicate/replicant threads and never saw this mentioned.

1 Like

Duplicates are not per se an issue, in some cases it’s temporary, in others (e.g. when indexing folders containing files handled by other apps) it’s even unavoidable. However, there’s also a global smart group Duplicates that might be useful.

1 Like

That could be useful, except I’d have to go to it and manually check it. I don’t keep any of my files indexed, they are all there together. But alas, we each have our own way of working with DevonThink, that is part of its beauty. Thanks for the tip but it doesn’t make it as clean and useful as it could potentially be.

What do you usually do if there’s a duplicate? Maybe a smart rule could handle it.

Unfortunately Smart Rules act on all of the files, not just the incoming one. Starting to spend more time on this than I’d like to but if I can get it to work before Autumn it will likely save me some headaches down the road.

Thanks again for the tip @cgrunenberg

It doesn’t look like this will be an adequate solution but I’m keeping my finger’s crossed.

You could limit the smart rule to On Import/Creation events.

Unfortunately Smart Rules act on all of the files, not just the incoming one.

That is not quite accurate. What is matched and where is defined by the criteria of a smart group or smart rule.

1 Like