Server link to a particular Group or Document

Is there any way to create a link to a specific document or group displayed in the DT3 server?

That would be very helpful to be able to share a specific item with a client who does not know the details of navigating around Devonthink.

That’s not possible, the server doesn’t know whether and how it can be reached from outside your (W)LAN. And the remote user(s) would still have to log in. Sharing just the document via a cloud service might be easier in this case.

That would be fine if the user still has to login.

Why would it not be possible to have the web server update the URL while traversing a database so that it is possible to return to that point in the database in a future time? It would make it immensely easier to use. My understanding is that one reason you created the Web Server is for situations where it is not feasible to train users how to navigate the full DT3 user interface. Wouldn’t the natural extension of that be the ability to have a URL which goes to a specific desired location inside the web server?

As for sharing the document, I am specifically hoping to share Wiki pages with clients. I don’t think there is a way to convert a working Wiki document to a format that can be shared outside of DT3 - correct?

That’s really my point here - the Wiki feature is extremely helpful. But it seems to be stuck in a silo - only I can access a Wiki document I create. How can I somehow share such a document with others?

one reason you created the Web Server is for situations where it is not feasible to train users how to navigate the full DT3 user interface.

That isn’t one of the reasons we developed websharing. It is for providing database access to non-Apple or non-DEVONthink users in a standard web browser (i.e., no extra software needed), typically in a cross-platform environment.

Navigating the full DEVONthink user interface in the native application is similar to navigating the web interface - and neither is particularly difficult IMHO.

As for sharing the document, I am specifically hoping to share Wiki pages with clients. I don’t think there is a way to convert a working Wiki document to a format that can be shared outside of DT3 - correct?

That’s really my point here - the Wiki feature is extremely helpful. But it seems to be stuck in a silo - only I can access a Wiki document I create. How can I somehow share such a document with others?

As Criss mentioned already, “Sharing just the document via a cloud service might be easier in this case.”

Agreed - but what if the document has Wiki links? Is there any way to create a Wiki document and share that with the links still working outside of DT3? It would be great if Convert to HTML created working Wiki hyperlinks but that does not seem to be the case.

Exporting one or more documents as a website converts the Wikilinks between them.

1 Like

Excellent - that works very well. Another trick I did not realize - using DT3 to create a static website with lots of links.

Thanks!