Setting item Title programmatically via external tools?

I’m sick of having to click over to the “Show Properties” dialog to adjust item titles, and I want to do some bulk retitling instead. I see in the Applescript dictionary for DTPO that the “meta data” attribute of records is read-only:

(Yes, that last item is verbatim; looks like a typo in the docs to me.)

Anyway: Those keys seem like they’re probably the standard Apple metadata supported by MDItem (http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Carbon/Reference/MDItemRef/Reference/reference.html ). If the properties can’t be set via AppleScript, can they be set by calling out to a command-line tool or script in another language?

(I’ve already tried poking around my DTPO files on the command line using mdls and xattr, and kMDItemTitle didn’t show up, so I’m at a loss as to what’s going on under the hood.)

Thanks in advance.

name property of record ?

tell application id "DNtp"
	set oRec to first item of ((selection of front window) as list)
	set name of oRec to "Renamed " & (current date) as string
end tell

name property of record ?

tell application id "DNtp"
	set oRec to first item of ((selection of front window) as list)
	set name of oRec to "Renamed " & (current date) as string
end tell

No, not the name property— the Title property, which is part of the item’s metadata.

This property is currently read-only and can be modified only via the user interface.

I figured this was the case. Is there any chance that it’ll be modifiable via applescript in a future version?

(Part of the annoyance of modifying the Title in the current user interface is that in Snow Leopard, keyboard focus behaves oddly when the Information floating-window is activated. I primarily use keyboard shortcuts for interacting with DTPO, and the current keyboard focus behavior is counterintuitive. If that were fixed, the lack of Applescript editability for Titles might be less annoying.)

There’s a chance but not in the near future, I’m afraid.