Setting up syncing - best way?

Hmmmm… Like you I am the only person using my instance of DT. And like you I don’t REALLY need microsecond syncing of DT to every device.

However, I do not have access to a home network. Just a MacBook Pro, my one and only computer, which is sometimes disconnected from the internet.

Could I use local sync in those circumstances? Would it be practical?

And does DT have a cloud backup service or services it recommends? I favor redundant local and cloud backups. Cloud backups can fail and local backups might become inaccessible if your house burns down.

I shoulda followed the links first. Cloud backup questions answered there. Also routine maintenance questions, which I was going to ask next. Thanks!

However, I do not have access to a home network.

Can you clarify this? You don’t have an Internet connection at home?

Just a MacBook Pro, my one and only computer

You mean you’re not syncing to a mobile device either?

Clarifying: You seem to have multiple Macs, and use one for a sync server.

I have one Mac – a MacBook Pro. Yes, it has an internet connection. And 25 or so days it lives in my home office, connected to the Internet 24x7, every instant of the day or note.

However, for the remaining 5-6 days I take it on the road with me, and then it’s disconnected much of the time, and subject to flaky connections other times.

I also have an iPad and iPhone.

On the other hand: I am the only one using my DevonThink databases. I don’t use DT for collaboration.

So my question is whether it would be practical to use my MacBook Pro as a sync server, and not sync over the cloud at all? Like you, I don’t require instantaneous, to-the-nanosecond sync. If I’m on the iPad or iPhone I can probably wait hours to sync that information to the Mac, without any problem.

Thanks!

Clarifying: You seem to have multiple Macs, and use one for a sync server.

Essentially.

If you are referring to syncing with the mobile device, you could certainly do a Bonjour sync with it - on or off your network.

1 Like

On the same databases? Wouldn’t this cause conflicts, if (more probably when) one sync mechanism synced faster than the other? Perhaps I’m misreading the implication of the question and/or the answer?

No, multiple sync locations per database are fully supported (as each combination uses its own status independent of the database).