Sharing to DTTG freezes for a few seconds

Whenever I share something (could be a screen capture image, pdf, etc) to DTTG, it freezes for a few seconds. Actually, it is more than a few seconds. Typically more than 10 seconds, could be as long as 20 seconds.

I am using DTTG 3.6.4 (17291) and iOS 16.2.

I just want to update that after I upgraded to iOS 16.3.1. The freezed problem is gone.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Just out of curiosity: When did it freeze for a few seconds: when opening the Share menu in, e.g., Safari or after dismissing the Clip to DEVONthink panel of the Share menu (means: when the file is actually sent to the database)?

For example, select a picture/image from Photo. Select Share, Select DTTG. Then it freeze for 10-20 seconds before DTTG open up.

Works ok here. DTTG 3.6.3, iOS 16.2, iPhone 14 Pro

I am using iPhone Xs Max.

Is Photos downloading images before importing?

This sounds like an iOS issue related to either memory or DEVONthink To Go’s data store being busy at the moment Clip to DEVONthink is summoned.

This is happening to me fairly regularly as well.

DDTG 3.6.4
ios 16.3.1

I clip mostly bookmarks on my phone.

Has been happening on and off through the last couple of updates.

I do think so. After my update iOS 16.3.1, I still get occasional freezes. Very much less now. Maybe iOS 16.3.1 has better memory management.

When it freezes, I quit DTTG by closing it (switch to it, swipe it up), the Share will open up DTTG immediately. It seems that DTTG was busy at the moment the Clip/Share happened.

No, it is a local images/screen capture in the phone.

With version 3.6.3 we modernized the way Clip to DEVONthink sends data to DEVONthink To Go. Before, it saved temporary files that were then picked up by the main app when you opened it. This sometimes caused data loss when the temporary file was, for whatever reasons, gone or otherwise unreadable. Now, the extension directly accesses the same data store as the main app which could, so it seems, block out the extension.

We’ll have a look what can be done.

I‘m having the same issue with iPad Pro (3rd gen) and iPhone 11 Pro, both running the latest version of iOS (17.0.3) and DEVONthink to Go. When I share something there are various issues - on both mashines:

• Sometimes pressing the DEVONthink button, nothin happens. This is quite rare.
  • After pressing the share to DEVONthink button, it takes quite some time (about 10 secons give or take) before the Share Sheet where I can enter data shows up. the screen darkens and I cannot do anything on the current app until the data input menu appears
  • After entering all my data and then pressing „done“ to transfer it to DT2Go it takes a while before this data input screen is gone. I am trying bookmarks as WebArchive does not work any more for me - it always generates a bookmark (there is at least one more thread regarding this behaviour here, but this is not my issue in this thread).

If this happens, oftentimes I have several empty bookmark files (0 kB and no data) in DEVONthink as well as my bookmarked option.

This happens most of the time when I haven‘t opened DEVONthink2Go in a while. If I clip something after this first failed attempt, it is oftentimes a bit faster but still takes about one or two seconds after pressing „done“ to close the data input window. Sometimes the same issues from above are there.

Any ideas if this is „normal“ or what I can change in order to improve upon this beaviour? I love DEVONthink but this way it is quite frustrating as I am losing my flow waiting for the share sheet - and not being able to rely on the data bing there.

Thanks a lot!

When you press the Share button… where?

I use the standard iOS „share to“ function and then select DEVONthink. I noticed this behaviour with Safari and Readwise Reader. Haven‘t tried any other apps yet.

Does the behavior persist after rebooting the device?

Haven‘t tried that after the update. However this behavior was before the system update es well - and the update process includes a reboot.
Will do and get back to you.

Just tried with the iPhone and the delay from the „data input“ share sheet (where you enter the DEVONthink data) is still there. Also, an unnamed kb bookmark has been generated as well

And I tried it with the iPad as well. The „data input page“ appeared fast but again when adding it to DEVONthink („done“) it took a few seconds. There, however, no 0 kB file was created