Should I deinstall AdobePDFViwer.plugin? And how?

DT3 gives me the following message:

DT PDF-plugin warning_Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.53.38 am

Should I now deinstall AdobePDFViwer.plugin? Any repercussions to worry about?

And how do I deinstall it? Just move the plugin to the Disabled folder?

1 Like

This can cause random crashes, especially after viewing web documents. We have received many different crash logs caused by the plugin in the past. But as long as you don’t experience this and/or need the plugin in other apps there’s no need to change anything.

Hello, I got the same message after updated to DT 3.5.1 today. Found this:

Search in this community with the keywords “AdobePDFviewer plugin” - I cannot share links, sorry. The first hit will give you some more informations, maybe.

I don´t deinstall the AdobePDFviewer-plugin until I get some problems in DT - not until now.

No idea whether I use this plugin. Is it a Safari thing?

But if on the other hand I haven’t had too many crashes either. So I guess I just leave it…

No, it’s installed by Adobe Acrobat.

Here are instructions to remove the browser plugins (and yes, @halloleo, we suggest uninstalling them) …

1. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
    If present, remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin or AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (notice the tilde (~) has been removed).
    If present, remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin or AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
  3. Relaunch DEVONthink.

These instructions worked for me. Thanks

Or you can just right click in the log msg and choose Reveal :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but there is the potential for the other to be present as well. :wink:

In that case you’ll get a warning for the other one after starting DEVONthink again.

What tops it all is that I do NOT have any plugin like that in my Library! How can I deinstall a plugin that does not exist? Ridiculous!

It can be in two different places: “your” library and the system wide one. Have you looked in both?

Oh yes, you’re right. I was a bit too hasty I guess.
I found the entry and deleted it. But there is still another entry: “AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin”. Should I delete this too?

Jim had given a step-by-step procedure before in this thread. Yes, you should delete both of them unless you do not experience any problems with DT3 or another program needs them.

1 Like

Alright I will do so. And if I should need the plugin later I think Time Machine will be very helpful :-). Thanks for your advice. Have a nice weekend and stay sound.